The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1226/2000

highrpm666

Quoting coyotes:
Alright so here's my setup. Still need to put the washer bottle back, missing a clamp and some other things but this is where I'm at for now.

Looks really good man! I can't wait to do something similar under my hood! I do like the battery location also, looks pretty clean. Good work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

coyotes

Thanks dude. it's got a long way to go but I'm trying to do everything right and take of maintenance and such before going too nuts with modifications. I got a fresh engine to throw in later this year.

Here's a decent pic somewhat of my intercooler now. Fits way better, even though it's like half an inch to the passenger side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm ODC and notice this sh*t.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Apparently not OCD enough to notice you typed it ODC. Poser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

coyotes

So I'm pretty sure the crank pulley isn't supposed to do this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gonna order a new one. Didn't see any rubbing on the timing cover inside or out, so I guess we're good. That little seal around the engine mount was out of place but not rubbing. Also it seems my water pump has a slow leak. Bummer, I just did the timing belt, service records indicated water pump had been done in last 20k. That's what I get!

G

Staff member
Haha told you!

coyotes

alright, just ordered a new water pump and got a balancer on the way so it looks like I'll be fixing all this crap next week. Are people RTVing on either side of the water pump gasket or going in dry? Thanks for the info.

highrpm666

I used an extremely light amount of rtv to fix the gasket to the pump about an hour before I installed it. I then put a very thin layer on the block side of the gasket before I put it on. This is the method from the vfaq with the addition of the thin layer on the block side of the gasket before installation. I used orange high temp permatex gasket maker.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

In most cases you can just install the gasket dry. If the block is straight and pump is new, it should seal fine. If I was going to put anything on it, I'd use some Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket hi-temp, instead of RTV. You can spray it on both sides of the gasket in an even coat, and it will fill any imperfections that the gasket may not. It works better than smearing RTV all over the gasket and block IMO.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting coyotes:
So I'm pretty sure the crank pulley isn't supposed to do this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, that's normal. They all do that eventually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
Copper spray is good, also you can use a tiny bit of high tack gasket maker just a few dabs in a few places to hold it in place.

highrpm666

+1 on copper spray a gasket. That stuff is great especially on exhaust gaskets! And I use high tack all the time for tranny pan gaskets or any rubber gasket. But a warning, high tack eats some paper gaskets and will cause failures when used liberally. Ive had quite a few "come backs" at my shop when I used high tack on paper gaskets for the cooling system etc. Anywhere else high tack is awesome until your trying to take it back apart!

Last edited:

Turbo99

The high tack stuff that comes in the tin with the brush attached to the lid is so, so messy and stains EVERYTHING it touches.

G

Staff member
That's why I said a tiny bit. You can't be a slob.

G

Staff member
The copper is a spray.

Turbo99

Quoting G:
That's why I said a tiny bit. You can't be a slob.

But they said I could be anything I wanted to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coyotes

Well it was a fun run, but the car has to sit for a while now. Pulled the heatshield off the manifold, found the manifold has two huge cracks in it. Surprised I couldn't hear it but I am also partially deaf. A previous owner had crossthreaded some bolts (j pipe to turbo, bolts snapped on removal), and mismatched manifold -> turbo hardware. removed one, stripped another, snapped 2 more.

Bummed, but oh well. It's the way of these cars I guess. Just gonna let it sit until Evan finishes up my other motor, and going to put that one in instead. Not sure when though, I don't have a garage to do it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GSTwithPSI

Dude, I'll send ya more hardware if that's what's holding you up. I have a compressor cover and turbine housing I'll swap you too if you need it. You said you had a 2G mani already, right? I'd hate to see the car sit until your other motor is done because of all this stupid little stuff. Post up a list of what you need and we can work something out so you aren't JSB.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting coyotes:

No, that's normal. They all do that eventually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

any warning signs/sounds leading up to this?

coyotes

I am just going to pick up a 16g and a 2g manifold. I am ok using stock 14b lines off the cylinder head and everything bolts right up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned