The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1226/2000

coyotes

damn and here I was hoping to never have to take off and put that stupid metal clip back on again. I will screw around with it tomorrow and see.

turbohf

Quoting coyotes:
I fixed it. Like an idiot I put the gasket in the wrong way..

i did this. about had a fit and burned the car to the ground. was a mentally exhausting day, didnt help i was doing it at night in my driveway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

G

Staff member
You're supposed to install the clip on to the plug first. Then you plug it back in.

coyotes

I'll try that. The strut bar makes it a billion times more difficult to install the clip otherwise

coyotes

Not much has been new. got the throttle body rebuilt and reinstalled. discovered a crack in the intake manifold which may or may not be leaking air? I am replacing it with a different intake manifold. Car also now has a different AWD 5 speed 1g ecu that has newer caps on it. I miss the nice weather to be able to knock out all kinds of work on the car.

But in other news, I am moving to a friend's house who has a garage and air tools soon. Hopefully will be able to start doing more work on the car again frequently. My new engine is complete, that will go in some time this year.

coyotes

I don't want to. and I can't leave cars in there but I can use it to work on things.

I discovered a crack in the intake manifold, so I have a new one to swap in, along with a different coilpack to hopefully get the issues with my car straightened out.

G

Staff member
The crack is probably your issue.

coyotes

This weekend. I don't think the Crack is causing a leak though. But going to do my injector seals while I'm in there.

the Crack has been there a while, I've done nothing to cause it.

coyotes

Got a different TPS as my old one tested bad, got it dialed in. Although, I can get it in spec with the multimeter, it reads closer to 16% with MMCD. Car runs better if I spec it with multimeter or put TPS to 10% with the datalogger. I am not sure which value I should stick with.

Unfortunately the car still has a high idle, 1500-2000 rpms. I readjusted the throttle stop switch to spec, but no change in idle. I can't find any air leaks anywhere so I'm not sure what's going on. Next up, replace the intake manifold I guess. I don't suspect the crack to be leaking air, it has been there since I've owned the car as far as I know.

Last edited:

coyotes

An update on things. Replaced the intake manifold, got a new coilpack. This seems to have fixed my weird cutting out issue and the TPS/coilpack codes being thrown. Car still idles high though. I did a boost leak test, fixed some leaks, but no change in idle. It will idle around 1500rpm with the throttle switch unplugged. With it in, it idles around 1200 but idle surges.

Any thoughts?

coyotes

Yes. actually after driving it more it seems to have stabilized out, the car is idling closer to 1100 now. it still wants to creep up sometimes to about 1400 and then surge down to 1200, repeat.

GSTwithPSI

Try adjusting the idle stop switch out some to make sure it's not holding the throttle plate open. There has to be an excessive amount of air bypassing the throttle plate, you just need to figure out where and why. With the BISS all the way in, the car should die as soon as you let it idle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned