The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1226/2000

G

Staff member
Not me.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting coyotes:
All you mofos told me to use this core! I blame all you guys. This is no longer my problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, and I also said ditch the worthless crash beam. You can fab up a few simple brackets to hold the bumper out of angle iron or something available at your local hardware store. I think the issue is your insistance on keeping the crash beam, which is limiting the space you have to work with. You already did the leg work to place the core, so downgrading to a smaller one now doesn't make much sense. People have made intercoolers that size fit in the past without issue, it's just going to take a bit of work on your part.

Trim the crash beam more, or ditch it altogether. You can't expect a big custom intercooler setup to bolt right up perfectly, so just take yor time and modify as needed. It is going to take some tweaking, along with trial and error to get it perfect. And, in the end when you get it right, you will be glad you kept the larger core. You aren't doing a bad job; and from the pic you just need to adjust the position a bit. Post up some pictures of the setup with the bumper off, so we can see where the clearance issues are.

Lastly, don't worry about naysayers like G. You are making progress and that's what matters. You'll get it fixed up, so don't sweat it.

Last edited:

coyotes

Naw G doesn't bother me any, he has given me good advice and some good deals on parts.

As for the crash beam, I hooked up with Paul (thedsmguy) and got the cut crash beam off the car this intercooler kit came from. The intercooler fits the way it was designed to, it's just too tall and doesn't fit in the space possible. The previous owner I'm guessing just let it stick out from under his bumper or he used the bottom of the bumper to hide it. But it is too big either way. Mark says the core is too tall, it's 13" tall. I don't have any with the crash beam over it, but I did a test fit and it cleared just fine, the top of the intercooler sits against the inside of the cut crash beam. The intercooler sat level but once I installed the bumper, the piping on the passenger side is pushed by the bottom of the bumper cover. I can trim the bumper cover, but the passenger side intercooler piping will stick out a lot.

GSTwithPSI

I could be wrong, but I don't think Mark meant 13" was too big to fit. He meant anything over 10" was going to be a challenge to make fit. Like I said, you aren't the first one to run a core this large. Your time would be better spent modifying the setup you have, rather than starting over from square one with a smaller core IMO. Either way, you will have to modify piping and brackets to make the setup fit, so why not stick with what you have since it is already hanging on the car. I assure you, the core you have will fit, but again, it is going to take some work. The core on 1813 was 12" tall, so you have the space required.

I can already tell you the bracket you have mounted to the top of the core is robbing you of a few inches of clearance at the bottom. That bracket is locating the core too low from the get go. That's where I would start modifying; not trimming the bumper cover. Remove that top bracket and position the core where in needs to be, then fit the bumper. Once it's in a position that works with the bumper, build another bracket, or modify the one you have to properly locate the core. You may need to modify the piping as well, which I wouldn't get discouraged about.

Or, buy a smaller core. Either way, you are still going to spend a fair amount of time getting it to fit right. Why don't you go ahead and ship it to me, and I'll show you how to make it fit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

It can fit, but it will hang down too far IMO, even with the top of the core resting against the underside of the top of the bumper cover. My 10" core sits flush with the bottom of my bumper and it's mounted as high as possible. I can't imagine having to deal with another 3" hanging down. A 10" core will allow you to use brackets from the bottom of the core to the bottom if the car's core support. I think that's why the 2-216 is such a popular size. It's wide enough to use inlet/outlet that come in from behind, and just tall enough to keep from hanging down too low.

coyotes

The bracket to hold up the intercooler is one that came with the kit. I can raise it up further to fit the cooler higher, and would actually improve the fitment of the rest of the piping. BUT, as it sits already, the top of the intercooler is touching the "roof" of the cut crash beam. It will not fit behind the crash beam. And, I will not remove it alltogether. Maybe I'm a ***** or whatever, but after that old guy hit me last week, I see its usefulness. If I didn't have it he would have totalled my car.

The way the intercooler is installed now is the way it was installed on the previous owner's car. It was just a too huge of a core to run on this kind of vehicle. There really is no way to improve the fitment short of removing the crash beam or just getting a smaller core. Kinda sucks, but I would rather have it done right than cut corners or leave it looking like this. But, this works for now until I buy a new core.

If you want this one though I will gladly sell it to you

transparentdsm

making this core fit would be such a process, i would just get a shorter and wider core and cut down some of the intercooler piping. if you didn't have A/C then id say make this one work. car looks great, how is the performance change from the old intercooler to this one otherwise?

coyotes

Definitely a pickup in performance over the stock intercooler. I would say the numbers are similar to the gains as shown in that turbo magazine where they tested simple bolt ons on a VR4. So maybe 20-30hp and similar torque? The powerband is a lot smoother though which I like, I feel it removed a big restriction for sure. You feel the most difference at speed, but there is more power across the whole rev range.

I just ordered a smaller core from CX racing. I called them up to see if they'd give out a coupon code, and they did: qp68r3jvt9 definitely was worth the 30 seconds it took to call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hopefully you have not ordered yours yet and you can get a little discount. I ordered the one I linked further up on this page.

coyotes

I think its time to address my pcv system, after installing my intercooler if I'm hauling ass around my dipstick will pop up a little. Have found some oil spray under the hood.

coyotes

Ordered all new parts to rebuild the shifter assembly. Cable end bushings, assembly bushings, those 6 component bushings, and the little ball thing that goes on the bottom.

Excited to get some more maintenance stuff out of the way. Next up... 5 lug?

transparentdsm

Quoting coyotes:
Ordered all new parts to rebuild the shifter assembly. Cable end bushings, assembly bushings, those 6 component bushings, and the little ball thing that goes on the bottom.

Excited to get some more maintenance stuff out of the way. Next up... 5 lug?

might i also suggest you get some hardened washers or aluminum bushings for the shifter base as well. makes a really big difference.

sounds like its coming along great

Last edited:

coyotes

That's what I meant by assembly bushings. Basically I got all the bushings to redo the entire shebang

GSTwithPSI

I just installed a set of these: Shifter Cable Bearings

When coupled with all the other little upgrades like solid shifer base bushings, properly lubricated/adjusted cables, and the JNZ or EHmotorsports short shifter, it gives you the best possible shifting quality IMO.

coyotes

I'm happy with my 1g shifter just fine. But yeah it'll be good to get these bushings in. My shifter is sloppy. Not VW sloppy but you can tell it needs some love. I may get a different shift knob, I think mine is a 2g, and I like it, but its maroon and doesn't fit the interior.

Is there a writeup on proper cable adjustment? Wouldn't hurt to check it while I'm in there.

Last edited:

turbowop

You think you're happy with your 1g shifter, but you'd be amazed at how much of an upgrade a true short shifter is. It just places each gear in a much better, more natural spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As far as shifter cable adjustment goes, it's pretty intuitive once you start messing with the cables. There are only two, so it's not that hard. Just remove the ends from the trans shifter arms. Then put the arm into each gear manually. Make sure each cable can easily reach each of those gears within its point of operation and without overextending by a crazy amount.

Back when I didn't know any better I installed a 1g shifter. It worked fine. Then I installed a different trans after blowing first gear. It started kicking out of third gear on me quite a bit. The problem ended up being that the cable wasn't extending far enough and wouldn't always completely engage the gear. Once you start swapping out shifters and transmissions, it's always a good idea to check the linkage to make sure the adjustment is good.

Last edited:

coyotes

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll get one done from eh motorsports. I got my stock vr4 shifter he can modify.

coyotes

Darn. Something is making a noise under the timing cover. Water pump? All the pullys for the timing stuff are new. Sounds like a bad bearing or something.

Sucks, don't want to have to pull all that apart again.

G

Staff member
High pitched? Goes away while driving?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts