The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Will these wheels fit my GVR4?

I just picked up a set of Falken Hanabi's in 17x7.5 with a +43 offset. Will they fit a GVR4 without using a spacer? If so, what tire size should I run?

2of9

hmm. seems a bit wide but with that offset you might be close. you can run with 225-40-17.

turbowop

Those wheels will fit just fine. You have a couple tire size options, but using a 7.5" wheel you'd probably be best going with a 225 width and whatever aspect ratio puts that width closest to stock height.

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking a set of 225/40/17 Falken RT-615's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

atc250r

Staff member
I would go with more sidewall than a 40. I have 235/45/17 Bridgestones on my GVR4. They are a little tall but they were free and they do fit. A 215/50/17 will fill out the wheel wells nicely and keep your rims from getting bent up too easily. There are probably 20 different sizes that will fit, it all comes down to what you want. Personally, I hate the "no sidewall and a bunch of room between the tire and wheel opening look" but some people don't mind it. These are relatively heavy cars and that means you need some sidewall IMHO.

John

belize1334

The sidewall is measured as percentage of the width, so a 55 series tire has a sidewall that is 55% as tall as the tire is wide. Using that you can calculate the total diameter as d=2*(sidewall)*(width)/25.4 + (rim size) since the rims are measured in inches and the tires in millimeters.

With a 7.5" rim I would not recommend anything smaller than 225 wide. As for the sizes that will fit. You basically have to decide what width you're willing to run; 225 or 235 are your options hear since 245 is probably too wide for the fender well and 215 too narrow for the rims. From there you choose the sidewall that will give the appropriate tire diameter.

With the 225 tire, the heights that gets you closest to stock are 225/40/17 (which is ~24.1" tall) and 225/45/17 (which is ~25" tall). OEM is 24.2" tall so the 225/40 is technical closer to OEM but I personally think that the 45 the preferable size. It's easier on rims, fills out the wheel well, and it's MUCH more common so probably easier and cheaper to come by. With a 235 tire the 40 series may be the better choice at 24.4" since the 45 series is bordering on too tall for the wheel-well at 25.3".

Last edited:

Struc

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned