The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel offset???

hey wop what rims are you ur car? thx in advance.. i think andre is running 18-8.5s not sure what offset..

turbowop

I think it's listed in my member's rides page...but they're 17x8's with a +35mm offset. 5zigen FNO1R-C.

I'm not sure what wheels Andre is running now, but when he had the Enkei's they were the same size and offset as my wheels. I don't think he's ever run larger than a 17.

Last edited:

probably were 17s then i know there sticking out ALOT he was suppose to buy my 92gsx before it got towed and impounded he JUST rebuild the engine too damn it... anyways how much do they weight? been looking ALOT last few days to find rims for the vr-4 with NO luck.. if you ever have any free time and wanna help me take the car apart or put it back together and want extra $ lemme know dont feel like having it towed to andres shop anytime soon to have him build it sry for the thread jack..

H05TYL

*sigh*

The wheels i'm buying already have very nearly brand new (60miles use) 235/40 tires on them - for street use it'll make no difference anyway.

For circuit use I'll be running 17" wheels with semi slicks.
So in no way am I harming the performance of the car (when it really matters).

Oh, and yes i'm doing it because I like the look - so what? so what if I wanted to run 10" rims with 215's - who cares?

If I wanted judging - I'd build a show car, get over it!

Dialcaliper

As long as you're within the design width range of the tire, there's nothing wrong with it. Most 235's are designed around an 8 or 8.5" wide tire these days, and "acceptable" fitments go up to 9 or 9.5 on a lot of performance tires, especially with a profile as low as 40%.

I'd agree though that stretching tires past their design range is pretty dumb, especially since new tires have stiffened sidewalls that make that it dangerous and unnecessary. It may have worked back when "low profile" tires were 65 or 70, and everyone switched from stiff bias ply tires to radials with soft sidewalls, but tire design has progressed.

Choosing where in the "acceptable rim width" range you want to be is really a tradeoff - for a given tire, the "design width" is the rim width that will give maximum cornering traction. For the same tire, a narrower rim will plant and give better straight line traction, but it will be mushy in the corners, which means progressive breakaway but less driver feedback. A wider rim will stiffen up the sidewall, and give excellent quick response, more accurate turnin and better tactile feedback, but you will sacrifice grip in both acceleration and cornering. The tradeoff is between maximum grip and the ability of the driver to control the car on the appropriate line.

H05TYL

Thankyou, it's good to read some useful information rather than merely a point of view with nothing to back it up.

turbowop

Whatever justifies your need for narrow tires on wide wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Do I need to state useful information when I give my opinion concerning large wings or lambo doors on other cars? I think not.

H05TYL

No-ones actually given any reason not to apart from a lack of maximum grip - which isn't an issue on the street, like I said before.

and a forum is for discussion
two people stating their differing opinions over and over is not a discussion.

of course you don't need to add useful information at all if you don't want - but sometimes it helps if you want people to value your opinion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned