The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

431 passed!

NateCrisman

smugshot7257906-X2.jpg

Now its legal to run 9.99 to 8.50 ET. Planning to do NHRA liscense passes today too.

Lots of improvements made to the car, I'll spell them all out in another post that's "track report" style.

Last edited:

Lancer99

Sweet what are time are you planning on hitting at? Also I emailed about a couple parts awhile back ago.

NateCrisman

The car should be capable of high 8's and 150mph once we get some more tuning runs done and make a full power pass. GizmoVR4 (driver/owner of the car) didn't have his medical paperwork straight yesterday, so he wasn't able to start the liscensing passes to be legal for 9s or faster. But the track did allow us to run the car so long as we ran 10.0 or slower ET and kept the 1/8mile ET under 6.35.

He basically never launched the car. It went 12.3@144 on one pass with no full throttle till 3rd gear on a rollout, and then went 9.8@145 with full thottle in all gears but leaving with a super weak 1.7 launch. I think he left at like 3000rpm and like 5psi of boost (normally leave at 5000+ & 15psi+) So the car ran pretty good. I worked on the tune and have it fairly nailed down. (can post log if anyone cares to see it).

With a 1.28-1.32 launch and 150mph, the car will dip into the high 8's. That's our plan. Just need to get the NHRA liscense for the driver first.

Galantvr41062

That's good to hear. Good luck short track testing, I hope to be doing the same in a few months. It should be a fun year with record swaps.

See you at the track.

desant78

hey where are you doing all this testing? Island dragway? I'm in the area and would love any reason to come out and see one fast vr4.

Post up where and when you guys will run if you don't mind.

NateCrisman

Quoting GalantVR41062:
That's good to hear. Good luck short track testing, I hope to be doing the same in a few months. It should be a fun year with record swaps.

See you at the track.

Yeah, 2012 is going to be pretty fun. I guess our plan is to hit a dyno next week or so to get a real look at our actual power band to get some info on ideal shift points. The HP calculator within DSMlink is showing a major power drop-off at high rpm past 8300rpm. It's the same curve on a few logs with a full 3rd gear pull to 9000, so I don't think it's error data. Want to hit the dyno to confirm, but this may explain a bit of our "lackluster" 1/4 mph relative to the ET and 1/8. Maybe we have a valve float or lifter pump-up issue? maybe the intake manifold (GizmoVR4 self made) or the HKS 280 cams (on stock gears) just aren't optimized for 8500-9000rpm on a stroker?

Honestly, I can't wait for Nelson to get his paperwork done for the NHRA license so we can finally go run the car and make more than one single full run each day. Having to slow the car down, pedal&brake, or make passes with rollout launches is less than satisfying. Sucks to go to the track and not be able to run it full out! Can't wait to make real attempts to get into the 8's.

Good luck with 1062....get that motor together ASAP and get out to play! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting desant78:
hey where are you doing all this testing? Island dragway? I'm in the area and would love any reason to come out and see one fast vr4.

Post up where and when you guys will run if you don't mind.

yup, Island Dragway is our 1/4 track. Nelson and I live less than 10minutes from the track, it's great. F Etown! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Galantvr41062

You are running a 2.3 with a gt37? What exhaust housing? I would think the turbo is holding it back up top. If you want to test a REEF manifold I could send one your way.

Good luck on the dyno, they can be real heart breakers. Don't mind the number but use it to figure out the tune and what the setup likes.

Last edited:

VR_IV_MR

this is on a manual transmission? They hold up better to the abuse I think i remember reading right? is this car daily driven at all? if so, its very appealing lol

NateCrisman

Manual trans hold up better to the abuse! F no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif The DSM manual trans is junk compared to the stock automatic. The auto is quicker at the track in every time interval, more reliable, and less expensive. It's user rebuildable with hand tools. The auto also saves on collateral damage to the rest of the drivetrain.

IMHO, anyone that continues to use a DSM manual trans needs their head examined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif (yes that means you too 1062!) I know some traditionalist guys like stick trans because that's how GVR4s come stock, and many like the driving experience of the manual trans, but we are in this to go as quick as possible above all else.

As for daily driven....no. It's a race car.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Last edited:

VR_IV_MR

oops i meant to say auto. hah. im pretty interested in going auto...

im sorry for the noob questions but does this have a welded center or a 4-spyder? Or is it something different for an automatic?

Last edited by a moderator:

NateCrisman

Welded center diff. Viscous coupling is removed and round filed. Open stock front diff. Stock 4bolt LSD rear diff (with an upgraded billet cover)

Galantvr41062

If I were building a bracket drag car then yes RWD auto would be the simple solution. But for now I will stay on the hard side of the fence.

A 1.3 short time is dam quick. All I need is a 1.5 short time and the same power level to run a 8.95.

NateCrisman

Yeah, were on the opposite situation. Traction, 60', and efficiency are great, but we need to up the power significantly. Im betting 431 will dip into the 1.2 60's leaving with more boost than last year, and should drop the 1/8mile into the 5's with the hard parts we have on the car. Just have to get legal in order to go out and do it. It seems our priority now is simply making more power and acquiring the hard parts to help the 8000-9500rpm power band we are forced to run in due to final drive gearing.

I wish wish wish I could convince GizmoVR4 to just give up the street car charade, ditch the ground effects, roll the fenders, and slap 28" slicks in there. Or cut/weld clearance for 30" slicks it really could use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

"I wish wish wish I could convince GizmoVR4 to just give up the street car charade, ditch the ground effects, roll the fenders, and slap 28" slicks in there. Or cut/weld clearance for 30" slicks it really could use.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Baby seat going back in next month!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NateCrisman

Screenshot of. Log from 9.8@145 run. Note the orange line just past the cursor line showing calculated HP taking a nosedive.

Screen-Shot-2012-03-21-at-X3.png

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

updated with race trim pictures - thanks Nate!!

click

slugsgomoo

nate, you should come back to cru sometime too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gizmo, that car is nutty, and I love that you still have the interior in there, car looks awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(edit) in nate's picture there's no interior, so I'm guessing only some of the pics in your members ride are recent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

All of the pictures in the members showcase are recent – the pictures in “street trim” were taken at the end of December. The pictures in “race trim” were taken this past weekend.

As for the interior – we had to remove the carpet and seats for chassis certification. The rules also state that the driver has to be seated in a race seat that is bolted to the cage- thus the race seat. The cage was built to fit the galants full leather interior, carpet, center console, door panels, and headliner – the car still has power windows, doors and sunroof as well.

Once race season is over if I choose- I can reinstall the factory Hood, Trunk, tail lights, seats, exhaust, street tires and remove parachute and window net. This will put the car back to “street trim” as in the first pictures in my members showcase . This car has a split personality Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned