The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Posessed Door Lock

deez

Okay, my car is pissed at me. She won't let me in. I unlock the car, and it locks itself. Then I unlock it again, and again, and eventually she will let me in. So today I gave the interior and good cleaning to apologize for whatever I did wrong.
Any idea where to start on figuring out why the door locks are behaving this way?

ghostinthevr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That's funny I had an opposite problem to that, I would lock my doors and they would unlock by themselves for some odd reason. I think it might have something to do with the factory alarm, just a guess. I fixed the problem by pulling the door lock fuse, the only sucky part is know all of your doors have to be unlocked manually. When I had my Eclipse the doors would unlock themselves after my turbo timer shut the car off.

I guess my cars want someone else to drive them. Try pulling your door lock fuse to fix the problem, unfortunately I don't know why that's happening. Just pull the fuse and you wont have that problem.

GVR-4

It's been discussed before but I don't remember how long ago. I think it's a relay. I think I remember Jeff having some insight. Try searching with keydiver as one of the guys who posted with some info.

No, it is the door lock activator switch box in the door. Autobahntom sent me one out of a wreck, and it fixed it right up. It is attached to the door lock by a short linkage. When the contacts get old and corroded they go open circuit, so the ETACS thinks you are locking the doors.

It *may* be possible to fix it by opening the switch and cleaning the contacts, but I've never tried it. I need to do that to the passenger's door of my wife's 3000GT, its doing the same thing lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

deez

Thanks Jeff. Now does anyone have one??

wowzer

I will have to see if I can find one in the yard and see how hard it is to take apart. I might be able to come up with something. It is just going to take a while to tear into without breaking I am sure.

If I recall, the switch was relatively easy to remove. You just remove the inside door panel, like you're going to install new speakers. The switch is only held in by 2 screws, if I remember correctly, and that linkage.

speedyvr4

Thats funny. Mine do the same thing but only in wintertime. I figured it was waht keydiver said but since now I moved to florida, it rarely happens now. will regular galant electric window actuators work?

mooserage

Staff member
my do that when one freezes in cold weather, just be quick and you will eventually get the door open before it re-locks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

deez

Well if anyone has one and they want to help me out, PM me with what you want for the part.

Quoting speedyvr4:
will regular galant electric window actuators work?

These are door lock activators, not window actuators. I would imagine they use the same actuator in DSM's also, and any Galant with electric door locks, but you would have to check CAPS to be sure.

GVR4_1057

I recently replaced a door lock actuator in my car with one from a 1993 galant. They are the same part. It was a rear though.

Gimpin

This could actually be a much simpler problem ... check all of your lock knobs to see if it is sticking against the door pannel ... my pass font lock knob does that so if the knob is up and I lock the drivers door the passenger stays up making all the others pop back up or vise versa. A good cleaning of that area might fix it for nothing

fivestardsm

Mine did all the same as well. I ended up taking apart all the latches and handles to clean them and lube the begeezuz out of them. I made sure they all worked smoothly.
It worked very well, all my handles open with no effort at all. Just like they were new!!
Steve.

Luke

Sorry about bumping up an old thread.
I want to also confirm that I was able to fix this strange locking issue by removing the front-driver door trim (interior door panel) and spraying generous amount of lubricant on the door latch, door handle and door locking mechanism.

I think what was happening is that the power door lock linkages starts to bind (especially in cold weather), and the door lock actuator would incorrectly detect that the locking-knob is getting pushed down, when really it is just binding, as the actuator tries to push it up.

I didn't have to replace the actuator, but I did take it out in an attempt to diassemble the actuator internals and lube the internals. I couldn't figure out how to open the actuator back plastic cover, so I just cleaned it, and reinstalled.

Hope this helps someone else with the same problem. It was bothering me quite a bit.

5OF2k

Mine is somewhat similar, but opposite, if that makes sense?

Doors unlock just fine, but wont auto lock when i push the lock down; I have to lock each door individually. Definitely a tad irritating, especially being as I've pulled the door panel and found everything still in-tact, AND the fact that they'll all unlock as they're supposed to.

-Jake

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Check your door switches in the body. Sounds like possibly one of them is not functioning properly and maybe detecting a door open intermittently.

5OF2k

yea, I dont know about that. It's not like it wont let it lock if a door is open and the car is running, that still functions as it should too, they just dont all lock with the key or with locking the drivers door as theyre supposed to.

-Jake

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned