The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

door lock problem

SleepinGVR4

Why when I unlock my driver side door sometimes it won't stay unlocked but locks right back up? If I unlock from the passenger side I don't have this problem.

BoostedAWD91

Check the linkage with the door panel off, should be able to tell by looking at it probably. I'm off tomorrow if u want help

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Mine does that sometimes as well... Extra security!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barnes

This problem pops up every so often. It seems to boil down to either physical or an electrical problem. I have the physical problem where the locks and all the linkage have become very hard to move due to age. What happens it the unlock solenoids don't have enough ummphh to fully unlock the door. Since the lock doesn't go up all the way, the car thinks you are trying to push it down and lock the door, and reverses the solenoids. You get this crazy lock-unlock cycle when you try to unlock the car. I had the same situation, wouldn't work on the driver side, but unlocking on the passenger side is fine.

There is also some issue with some kinda electrical relay or something. I know if you search this problem you'll probably find the results of Keydiver talking about it.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting Street Surgeon:
Mine does that sometimes as well... Extra security!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not when it locks and your car is running.

Is the lock solenoid in the door?

Barnes

Yes, the solenoid is in the door. It actuates the lock, and also detects position. I *think* it detects the position.

seizer

I have had the same problem sometimes always during the winter when its cold and I have noticed when unlocking your door with your key turn it right of course to unlock and with the key still in turn it left as far as you can without locking it if that makes any sense. Its a trick I have figured out that works for me give it a try. This only hides the problem of course but please post back a more definite solution as I need to get to the bottom of this problem also.

Barnes

If it is mechanical you just need to break down and tear the door apart and clean all the lock mechanism pieces. It is really pretty reasonable. Just clean the heck out of everything and apply white lithium grease where it was there before. I did it to just my passenger door, it feels AMAZING now. Lock works way smoother with less effort.

DR1665

Search still works! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Recently, I've had similar problems with the locks.

- Turn the key, all doors unlock, then lock again before I get the key out. Does this 2-3 times before it stays unlocked.
- Turn the key, driver's door unlocks, fractional (but obvious) delay, all other doors unlock.
- Unlock door from inside to get out, open door, all doors lock on their own.

This search prompted by unlocking the car this morning. I turned the key, my door unlocked, none of the others did. Opening my door, I was greeted with the glorious melody of the factory alarm. Turned the key in the door again, alarm turned off, had to lock/unlock car a couple times to make sure I wasn't driving to work with flashing headlight action.

The weekend to-do list is growing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned