The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lost power and stalled while driving... fuel / outside heat related?

SleepinGVR4

So I had a really close call yesterday. I was I-476 when all of the sudden when I pushed on the accelerator the car just stumbled and fell on its face. I down shifted and still the same thing, just had zero power. No check engine lights or anything. The car finally stalled and I coasted the car as far as I could, within sight of my exit, but I just didn't think I was going to make it so I pulled over and stopped.

I should mention it was 100 degrees out yesterday. I tried to start it back up after I pulled over. It would turn over but just wouldn't fire. I checked around for loose wires, unplugged sensors, anything that would cause this. It was like the MPI fuse was pulled out.

Finally after about 20 mins, I tried the car again and it fired right up. Checked the fuel pressure and it was fine. I managed it get it all the way back home without a problem.

The symptoms were just like if your fuel pump died or it wasn't getting enough fuel. I did notice the aftermarket fuel pump relay was pretty damn hot. Is that normal? My battery is located in the trunk fyi.

Can a fuel pump over heat? Could the relay have gotten so hot that it wasn't supplying power to the fuel pump?

G

Staff member
What kind of fuel pump? How much gas was in the tank?

ktmrider

1g DSM buddy had same issue last summer ( car is JSB this year ). Vapor Lock. Also had same symptoms on rewired Wally, relay hot to touch.

He swapped the pump out, no more stalling however the car developed a rod knock shortly after and he parked it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Vapor lock is rare on fuel injected vehicles because of the pressure.

ktmrider

Quoting iceman69510:
Vapor lock is rare on fuel injected vehicles because of the pressure.

Correct, my response was a bit cryptic.

We suspect his Wally was bad. He had a pressure gauge, it would drop to the teens and we could hear the fuel percolating. Once the engine bay and fuel pump cooled off it started right up and ran fine.

jnava

Staff member
My main question is, did you do a rewire?

Nate

Check your wiring connections, but also inspect the fuel sock on the bottom of the pump. It sounds like the pump is overheating and will work again on e it cools off. I chased this problem years ago and the fuel filter sock was clogged terribly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned