The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hot fuel pump power wire

SleepinGVR4

What would cause my fuel pump power wire to be hot to the touch? I've tried different pumps. It is rewired. And my battery is located in the trunk.

It gets hot enough to make the wire turn black after a couple of months. Anyone else have this problem?

Muskrat

What gauge wire is it? Sounds like to much resistance in the wire. Try stepping up to larger gauge?

gtluke

mine does this too, you need thicker wire. It will melt the connectors too and the mpi relay connector eventually. Mine has

Muskrat

Which wire, exactly, is getting hot? I was under the impression it was the wire you added for the re-wire.

What pump are you running? Under boost the 255 and Supra pumps pull a TON of current, way more than the stock 12 gauge wire was meant to handle. If I recall, I rewired #1886 with 8 gauge the whole way to the fusible link box.
click

MitchooO

I know mine is rewired with what I thought was a pos amp wire..but im glad I traced it before I ripped it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif looks to be somewhere around a smaller blue transparent coated amp wire, Not the huge one, for a fact i know mine never gets hot, not sure what everyone else runs.

BoostedAWD91

u guys rerunning the power wire to the pump all the way to the pump or just splicing it in? would think ud have to run it all the way

JNR

I ended up using some 2 ga "welding" (fine strand) wire on mine with no issues. A little overkill perhaps (bet 8 or 10 would suffice), but you can never really go too big on DC wiring (and I have a bunch of it), within reason and don't forget to run a good ground (size and location).

MitchooO

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
u guys rerunning the power wire to the pump all the way to the pump or just splicing it in? would think ud have to run it all the way

Yes the power wire you put in should run the hole way from the battery to the fuel pump, preferably with a fuse...but its your wire you can do what you want, lol

MitchooO

run the big power wire from the battery back to the trunk, find the hot wire that runs the pump, make that work a relay to kick on the power comming from the big wire you just ran to the back. connect as necesary.. i dont know the color wire, for my vr4 is burried beyond the point of vision threw my sno banksm or i would look at it. hope thi helps

SleepinGVR4

I know what needs to be done now. But how did you run bigger wire through the top of the sending you unit. The power wire is riveted to the top of the sending unit and its connected with a nut on the bottom. Is there a way to remove the rivet?

Muskrat

Yes, drill it out, but it's not needed. Just splice in right before. It's not long enough to cause a huge resistance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned