The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel pump rewire and now fuel light is dim

icurunnin

So I just did the fuel pump rewire just like I did on 501 and for some reason my fuel light is on and dim. I ran a 8 gauge(fine strand) power wire from the battery to my new relay in the trunk. I also ran a 8 gauge (fine strand) ground from the jack mount location to the fuel pump and relay. And yes I did strip it down to bare metal for good contact. Just wanting to get some thoughts on what could be wrong.
I think it is a ground issue but I dont see how.

ktmrider

Check ALL the chassis grounds, especially those from the battery.
Had a similar problem, found every battery to chassis ground corroded. I also added a few extra grounds for good measure ( DIY grounding kit ) that helped eliminate a pulsing light problem under heavy electrical load.

icurunnin

Ok I guess its just "noise" from the relay. I tried the everything listed below with no luck besides the last one.
disconnect the ground at the pump and wire it back to the stock ground wire.
disconnect the ground at the relay and hooked it up to the stock ground that the pump was using.
and last I hooked the fuel pump power directly to the 8 gauge power wire with no relay and the light was gone. Only thing is the pump was hot wired so that is not a permanent solution.
Anyone else have anything to add?
I cant even see the light on during the day but at night it just glows ever so dim and I want everything on this car to be 100% right.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Has to be a grounding issue. Current is going through that circuit to ground instead of its normal route.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned