The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Update on 425/1000. What I have been up to.

Terry Posten

Most of you know that I have spent the last 3 years rebuilding my Summit White 1992 GVR4. This rebuild literally has included everything from the chassis all the way to a full drivetrain upgrade.

The only thing left is to rebuild the driveshaft and bolt on the strut tower braces(front and rear).

The final step is to dyno tune the ECMLink V3 speed density setup. That saga started 1 week ago today. I spent about 2 hours on the dyno only to be told that they could not continue due to the engine temps. The motor just would not cool far enough between pulls to keep knock away.

The final result of the first day was that the off-boost and mid-boost was finished but we must go back to do the hi-boost tuning after the cooling issue is resolved.

The first results were 316whp and 310tq at 13 psi (spring pressure of the waste gate) on 93 octane Shell.

Since the dyno day, I have ripped the front of the car apart and rebuilt it (again) with a new 1G style radiator, 160 degree t-stat, new 12" dual fans, 160 degree thermo switch, and new hot-side piping (to make room for the new radiator).

The before engine temps varied from 210 to 220 cruising around and not really falling when coasting or idling and now I see 170 to 180 cruising/boosting and falling to 160 coasting and idling. And that was today with outside temps in the 90s with super high humidity.

Here is the new radiator setup.

Here are some new pics of the speed density setup:

Just for you guys that don't remember what a stock(ish) engine bay looks like, this is what I started with about 6 years ago:

I will post up the final results (with graphs) when I get her back on the dyno. The return trip is already paid for and should be mid next week. First I have to do some more shakedown cruises to make sure I don't have any more mishaps.

so they said it was getting too hot, and you decided to just change out the whole damn cooling system... =) thats how i do things haha. What kind of radiator did u use? i only see u put '1g style'

Terry Posten

Used to be a Small VW dual pass style unit. The old core was 12x20x1.25 with one 10" & 8" fan and the new core is 14.5x27x2 with dual 12" fans. And the old t-stat was 185 degree. The old setup drained out less than 1 gallon of coolant. The new setup took 2 gallons of coolant and that is after cutting 6" off the top hose.

Terry Posten

PTE SC6152RSP.

I need to update my "members ride" post but it is close.

click

Terry Posten

Quoting 4thStroke:
Did you get dyno tuned yet?

Yes, but only half way. We stopped at the lowest boost pressure. I am going back next week.

Terry Posten

Quoting 2of9:
that is FREAKING clean dude.

Thank you.

I guess I need to get serious about making a heat shield soon. I have a template made I just need to get the material and get it done.

bobdole

Very clean engine bay. Great Job

Nartanian

That's 6yrs now must feel well worth it. Very nice job!

Terry Posten

OK, got back from the shop about two hours ago and after a quick bite, here are the results.

The bad news:

My intake (modified stock 1G)is a big choke and kills the gains after 6000 rpms. The guys at the shop estimate at least 40 more WHP on pump if I switch to a quality unit like a Forester. This "wall" it hits causes knock to set in so they had to adjust the timing map to make it a safe setup on the street (93 pump).

My new radiator setup worked great but I need a better fan to get it to cool down a bit faster after a hard series of pulls (on the street this is not a problem)

The good news:

My radiator setup works great. (just need a better fan or two)

The car performed well. I am able to run on Shell 93 E10 to 18psi (that creeps to 21psi by 6500 rmps). Again, they said I would be able to push a few more psi and 10% more WHP if I swapped in a Forester intake. The final results were a respectable 361.3whp at 6100 and 330tq at 5000. These numbers were achieved on a DYNOmite AWD unit.

From what I can find on the WWW is that corrects to about 445 crank HP (24% AWD loss).

Here is the printout for those that like to look at graphs:

cheekychimp

Terry I just PM'd you, I've actually got a barely run Forrester, I'll be looking to sell if you can hold on a bit.

Terry Posten

You-tube video of a second gear pull.

click

i would definitely throw on a new manifold. im curious as to what your fuel trims are, afr looks great. i would think you getting into 400hp would be very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealthtt24

Have you thought about SPAL fans? I've read nothing but great things about them and can't wait to get 1635 running to see how much 12" one performs.

Terry Posten

That is what I need to get. The units I have are cheapie 1500cfm (advertised-I don't believe it) and Spal 12" fans push/pull around 2500 cfm.

I have a Spal 8" on my oil cooler and it moves more air than the cheapie 12" units.

Barnes

If your radiator setup works fine on the street, but not that great dyno, why bother upgrading?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned