The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I think I pissed 425/1K off.

Terry Posten

Haven't even started 425 since I picked up the Jaguar (3 weeks) and MOD coming in 3 days I needed to make sure she is ready for the annual 400 mile trip.

I decided to swap in the 180 t-stat and remove the 160 stat. Found a tiny leak on the plug that blocks off the t-body coolant return. Fixed that, flushed radiator and filled with new 50/50 mix. Hooked ECM Link up and backed off the coolant offset and check systems at idle.

Took it for a drive to the car wash and then for a shakedown run to make sure all is well.

Well, all was not well. coolant is spot on, runs great but was a dog. Very sluggeish. Boost was topping out at 12psi.

Took her home, threw on the leak tester and everything is good at 10psi. Cranked it up to 25 and made sure the system is leak free, still good but the MBC is singing but that is expected since I have it set at 20. Back the pressure down to 20 and the MBC is still singing. So I adjust it to hold at 20 psi and take her for another ride.

This time, much better. Boost hits hard and rock steady 20psi.

Now she is ready.

But it is weird that the MBC would be so far off. Anybody else experience this after sitting for a bit? (although, now that I think about it, the set screw was easy to turn.) I am going to go out and tweak the set screw a bit.

See everybody at MOD.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Glad you found it, 12psi would be fine for the road trip but not at MOD.

Check-ball type MBC's will do that, moisture or other contaminates get into the seat area via the bleed hole. Pimp slapping it a few times usually clears things out.

JNR

Yeah, difference between 12 psi and 20 psi on these is huge...try driving it when it won't go past 2-5 psi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting Terry Posten:
Haven't even started 425 since I picked up the Jaguar (3 weeks) and MOD coming in 3 days I needed to make sure she is ready for the annual 400 mile trip.

I decided to swap in the 180 t-stat and remove the 160 stat. Found a tiny leak on the plug that blocks off the t-body coolant return. Fixed that, flushed radiator and filled with new 50/50 mix. Hooked ECM Link up and backed off the coolant offset and check systems at idle.

Took it for a drive to the car wash and then for a shakedown run to make sure all is well.

Well, all was not well. coolant is spot on, runs great but was a dog. Very sluggeish. Boost was topping out at 12psi.

Took her home, threw on the leak tester and everything is good at 10psi. Cranked it up to 25 and made sure the system is leak free, still good but the MBC is singing but that is expected since I have it set at 20. Back the pressure down to 20 and the MBC is still singing. So I adjust it to hold at 20 psi and take her for another ride.

This time, much better. Boost hits hard and rock steady 20psi.

Now she is ready.

But it is weird that the MBC would be so far off. Anybody else experience this after sitting for a bit? (although, now that I think about it, the set screw was easy to turn.) I am going to go out and tweak the set screw a bit.

This is precisely why i don't like MBCs. I never had anything but trouble with them, as did friends. LowerShores, JoeP, and others sucked in general. The only exception i saw, was those that ran the TurboXS mbc... those seemed to always work pretty damn good.

matt92vr4

Second on the peep hole. Spring and/or ball probably rusted a bit and got stuck somewhere.

Terry Posten

I think my problem is how I mounted it. It is hanging by the adjuster screw shaft and over the last year must have backed out slowly because the set screw was not tight.

All better now.

Terry Posten

I think it happened because of two reasons.

I mounted the MBC loosely hanging from the adjuster shaft and the set screw was loose. The vibration and the loose set screw allowed for the adjuster to back off.

Tightened the set screw after readjustment and we will see if it is consistent.

This MBC has worked great for over 7 years, money well spent (less than $35 back then).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned