The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So where have I been? Been quiet.

Mark

If anyone remembers lst year I did a best of 10.2 w/the auto galant and was having some issues that day w/the car smoking and really not running good..

Turn to wednesday finally got time to check it out bring it to the shop and find out whats up.. Well found something interesting.. Blew HKS MLS, piston was messed up.. This is why oh and hose are oliver rods so they are not that cheap =)

n623921610_2206090_918226.jpg

[/URL]

n623921610_2206125_6977817.jpg

[/URL]

So turns out I ran a 10.2 w/a a bent rod =) and low compression on #2... So I ordered new rods, HG, and etc.. Also amd doing a tube frame crossmemeber up front cleaning up some wiring and getting ready for rest of the year!

Last edited:

14u2nV

Why on earth did you install a bent rod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Gonna shoot for nines when all your rods are straight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

OUCH!!!
Nice paper weight tho! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

Hey Mark, that would make a great demo tool for "High Cylinder Pressure and Your Engine Internals".
Glad to see spring is bringing the GVR4 out!

curtis

I've got an old eagle rod I'm going to make into a shift handle but this does you no good since your auto now just put a nail in the shop wall and dedicate to the God of Speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Aspod:
^^^Same here. Thats crazy.

Same here. Doesn't make sense with the force directions in the engine.

Barnes

I guess it could have just buckled due to so much force. Would explain the way it's bent. See: Beam Theory.

Terry Posten

I think Jon's on to something.

Good thing it did not cause any damage and you found it before it was too late.

prove_it

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting Aspod:
^^^Same here. Thats crazy.

Same here. Doesn't make sense with the force directions in the engine.

How often do things happen to our cars that we have to step back and say wait.. that doesn't make sense.

Mark

Quoting Jonvr4:
water in the cylinder would cause that kind of force, and he did have a bad hg.

The rod damaged the piston the way was bent which damaged the headgasket which caused it to blow. The block is fine whats awesome =) i have a new set of rods and pistons on the way.. The bearing looks brand new ws just a freak occurance.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That doesn't explain root cause of the rod bending in the first place.

Barnes

Quoting iceman69510:
That doesn't explain root cause of the rod bending in the first place.

I'm just saying that's what would have caused the rod to deform that way. I'm not saying what caused that pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Brianawd

Thats like the 3rd or 4th bent oliver rod I have seen in the last few years. My friend paul did that same thing on his evo. I have also seen a few from 2jz guys. I am starting to think they are junk.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts