The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So where have I been? Been quiet.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'm with you Jon. I'm saying that Mark's assessment that the bent rod caused piston damage caused head gasket damage and subsequent failure does not lead to a diagnosis of root cause for the bent rod in the first place.

Not being familiar with these rods nor their beam design, it still seems weird to me to bend in that plane. The forces in that direction are minimal in my understanding when compared to the plane perpendicular to that. The piston travel in that direction is of course restrained by the cylinder wall, and the big end by the crank. Crank moving around?

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Quoting iceman69510:
That doesn't explain root cause of the rod bending in the first place.

I'm just saying that's what would have caused the rod to deform that way. I'm not saying what caused that pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mark

Funny thing us every single bearing on the motor looks brand new. Everything is perfect cept that one rod.. I am interested to see what oliver will say.

Barnes

Iceman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

Too much axial force will cause a beam to buckle. When a beam buckles it can go all wonky-side-ways style.

I don't know what the root cause is either. I'm not sure if buckling is the answer to the shape, but it's a reasonable guess.

I wonder if they are just built with inferior materials. Strange.

EDIT: Fix in bold. Damn I'm sleepy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

I had a rod do that once in my Syclone, but it was also twisted. Amazing what pressure will do to steel or any other material for that matter!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned