The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Update, E break and power steering and radiator fan questions

Vr4Ape35

Well I brought her home yesterday and started going over the car. It's 1390/2000. Must've had a few hands in it since I got it. The side marker wires are cut for some reason, and I noticed the rear steering has been deleted, the rear line is plugged. Lots of rust and shot bushings. At first my main concern was rust but now it's just to keep it driving. If anyone has experience with the following any advice would be much appreciated.

E-break
The E-break is not working. Handle seems to have tension and as per the shop manual pulls up and clicks 5-7 notches, but the car will still roll when engaged. I located the lines and both are connected to the rear brakes. Any advice on diagnosing this? Start with the brakes themselves?

Power steering
I have the PS pump sitting in a milk crate I was given by the last owner along with some other bits. No reservoir. I took a look at the front rack today and I felt under one of the boots that was cracked, and it was a bit wet. I'm assuming it has a leak. I found one on rockauto (linked below), and am wondering if this is just a 1:1 OEM direct replacement. Are there any how to's on replacing it? Also can't find a reservoir for the GVR4 anywhere, can I find another that will bolt right up to where the old one was located?

Steering rack

Radiator Fan
Current fan was locked up and grindy. Also found a replacement from rockauto (linked below) and am wondering if it'll be sufficient, or if anyone can recommend a better fan that won't require any modifications.

Radiator fan

For now the car's going to remain on jack stands until I can steer (and park) it safely and keep the engine from overheating. This is my first project car and it needs a good bit of work but I'm excited to get it fixed up, I'll post some pictures soon. Also my apologies if any of this has been gone over before, I'm new to these types of forums and I did take a look before hand. Thanks in advance.

Vr4Ape35

After some more digging into the service manual pdfs I answered my own question on the PS rack. Still wondering if there's another OEM reservoir that could be a direct replacement though.

If you're not going to use the rear steering you can use the reservoir from a 1G Eclipse or any of the other 88 through 93 Galants. A 2G eclipse reservoir might be a direct replacement also, but I'm not sure of that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned