The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Totally sparatic cutting out then back to 100%

I am a new owner of a 1991 Galant VR4 #747 of 2000 The car is 100% stock
with 99,000 miles on it. While driving runs perfect then sometimes cuts out
led boost gauge jumps up and down as does the rpms sometimes lasting 4 minutes
then going back to running 100% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Most times if i drop the rpms and shift
to a higher gear it stops doing this. It hasnt happened in 2 weeks but will happen
again! I gave her a full tune up since then best of the best everything straight from
the manual since then and still happens from time to time can anybody help

4thStroke

Or if you move?

Its really a shot in the dark. Your best bet is to log a bunch of stuff and see what exactly is going on.

Hertz

Staff member
Random failures + stock car + blinky boost guage freakout + Newbie = ECU capacitor leakage... until proven otherwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheekychimp

newVR4ownerPA,

What these folks are saying is that you might want to locate your main ECU in the driver's side foot well and disconnect it from the harness by releasing the three plugs. You will find four cross head screws in the side of the ECU casing. Undo these and open the case and inspect it for capacitor damage/leakage (the most likely cause of your very erratic issues). If you have damage you will need to speak to Terry Posten, Steve or Keydiver to see if your ECU can be repaired or find a replacement.

cheekychimp

Yeah, I know, but if I say passenger foot well to him he'll never find it.

Thanks so much for all the input, you have all sent me in the right direction!

throttle position sensor... if you tap it while reving it in neutral the reading will jump around (or drop to 0) causing such a symptom.

BoostedAWD91

so your the guy who bought Dr.Maximax's galant huh. I have seen it more often lately and been wondering who has bought it. You have 3 other GVR4 members in Danville as well so if u need help anytime let us know. Send me a PM and we can meet up and hook a logger up to your car and see whats going on.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

i met up with nick today to try and help him figure out whats going on and he took me for a ride to show me what it has been doing. i pulled his ecu out and sure enough he has some acid damage. hopefully it didnt hurt anything else.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts