The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thoughts on O2 housing with open dump..?

gvr4144

Dont really feel like welding the wastegate on my turbo. My main concern, will it mess with my tune with a wideband?

gvr4144

By the way proud owner of 144/2000 she's fully built 2.3 stoker blue printed and balanced...

92_talon_awd

You want to run the stock wastegate with an aftermarket o2 housing w/open dump?

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

I've run a setup just like that with no problems before.

92_talon_awd

No problem, dig your car BTW. If I ever get another one, I want a green one. One of my sisters lives in Colorado haha.

gvr4144

Thanks its two coats of the factory green and one of ocean blue peral so it changes and thats cool colorado is a good spot.

slugsgomoo

the internal wastegate will start to open ~9psi especially if it's a 16g with 34mm flapper... regardless of what you set the boost to.

Frankly, I think having a dump on an internally gated turbo is goofy and adds a lot of "come give me a ticket" potential. With a bigger turbo and an external gate, at least you're not opening the gate until much more boost is happening, and the likelihood is that at that point, you're already in trouble with the law.

My car is dumped but it's a 67mm turbo with a tial44, it's not opening at low rpm's or partial boost, so it's not that irritating. I've ridden in dumped 14b & 16g cars and it's obnoxious.

prove_it

^ what he said. My 16g gate is damn near always open after 3k rpms. If it was dumped I'd have a stack of tickets.

gvr4144

Well its a precision sc61 so i doubt it will spool as fastas a 14b or 16g

SSGdave

Ive had one, it was cool for about a week on an old DSM I owned. Then for me, the sound got really annoying. If you can do it, shell out the money for a non dump 02 housing. In the long run Id think you'd appriciate it.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
It truly depends on you. I changed the setup since it was killing the alternator. I was constantly DD it and it did get annoying after awhile. Under the upcoming setup, I think it will be okay since it's no longer going to be constantly driven...I imagine. Otherwise, I might get annoyed again and i'll have to recirculate it.

gvr4144

I appreciate the info guys, guess i never thought about it burning up my alternator. What about the performance aspects? Do you guys think it might free up some air and help hold more consistent boost? Im going to be running atleast 20psi

92_talon_awd

You can always extend the dump tube if you are worried about hot air on the alternator. Not sure about performance aspect, mine seemed pretty much the same after I installed the open dump, just louder. As far as noise, it's just personal preference. I know some guys like to vent out the hood on their evo's and some dump out the side of their bumper through a riveted plate. The hood vent seems overly obnoxious to me but people shell out good money for the setup from big name vendors.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned