The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wastegate placement?

Kenny_Kline

Here are a couple ideas. Please help me decide what would be better.

Setup is a B16g turbo, internal wastegate, 2G manifold, tubular O2 housing (recirc), Right now, the setup is choking. I bought a Tial 38mm wastegate. I bought an open dump O2 housing and was going to cut the dump tube off, turn it up, weld a flange for the wastegate there, and remove the flapper on the hotside of the turbo. Doing this keeps the exhaust gases from cramming up in the O2 housing. But then a second idea hit me tonight. What if I ran the wastegate off the manifold? I can keep the recirc O2 housing on there, remove the flapper (as it will now just be another exhaust passage) and get an aftermarket manifold and run the wastegate there.

WHat one do you think I would benefit more from. I dont like the idea of the O2 housing getting all crammed up by recirc. right there on the O2 housing.

Ideas? Thoughts?

GVR4_1057

You would have to weld the stock WG flapper closed or block it in some way.

1990ggsxnj

^^ This is true as the flapper, even if shut, will leak. You may want to just go with an after market delete. Since they are made without the valve flapper all together, there will be no rough surfaces involved.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing once I eventually get my FP Green.

Kenny_Kline

Im an idiot. I woke up this morning and realized the flapper door would have to be welded shut and im not welding anything onto thw hotside.

hmmmm... aftermarket delete? I would really consider that. Where would you get one?

I dont think either setup is going to benefit me anymore than what the other one will except maybe better flow on the hotside because its one straight shot to the wheel and out the exhaust instead of hitting a hole through the hotside.

I dont know...

I have a 6cm, 7cm, and 9cm hotside for a 16G turbo. I want to keep my stock manifold and run a external wastegate. I am going to clock the turbo to help the air flow better to the intercooler rather than running through a jpipe.

What hotside would you use and how would you set it up?

Last edited by a moderator:

slugsgomoo

far be it from me to discount externally gated 16g's (since the evo3 on my old talon has one, off the 02) but it's a lot of work and not really a lot of gain. I think that in 20g/green territory you really see the benefit, but on a 16g, it's more of a "well when I upgrade the turbo that's already there" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Honestly, what's "choking" the setup? Are you having creep issues?

Frankly my experience is that unless it's a very well made tubular o2 housing, a well ported 2g or evo3 cast housing will have no problems with a 16g, especially if it's got a well ported turbine housing.

just wondering what the real issue is here.

Kenny_Kline

I just dont like how the wastegate recirculates into the exhaust at the O2 housing. It looks like once that wastegate opens up, it will create turbulence in the O2 housing. In my opinion, the hotside/o2 housing is the most restrictive part of my exhaust and I am looking to free it up. Maybe not worth the gains? We will see.

1990ggsxnj

I did have a creeping B16g after switching to a full flow exhaust. Swapped flappers and opened the waste port a bit, problem solved. Other than that, I agree with slugs on the external gate since it's not really needed. Good precaution, but don't spending money on closing off the port just to gain what you could from a larger o2 housing. Are you planning on going with a larger turbo?

Quoting slugsgomoo:
far be it from me to discount externally gated 16g's (since the evo3 on my old talon has one, off the 02) but it's a lot of work and not really a lot of gain. I think that in 20g/green territory you really see the benefit, but on a 16g, it's more of a "well when I upgrade the turbo that's already there" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Honestly, what's "choking" the setup? Are you having creep issues?

Frankly my experience is that unless it's a very well made tubular o2 housing, a well ported 2g or evo3 cast housing will have no problems with a 16g, especially if it's got a well ported turbine housing.

just wondering what the real issue is here.

1990ggsxnj

Yea, same here. Have had a few dollars to spend but hasn't been as often as is needed to get my project off of the ground. Not to mention the weather has been hell to get under/over a car and work for any longer than 10 minutes. Spring/summer will hold better results hopefully.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts