The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

With a proper tune, a MAP sensor will outperform an AFM in every way.
Especially with regards to Air Temp correction.

I don't understand why you're using DSMlink, it's such an outdated system and hasn't been developed in over 2 years.

There is such a huge range of standalone ECU's available and they are all fairly cheap.

cheekychimp

Probably yes and I'm not against the possibility of doing that in the future, but there is no support for AEM over here like you have in the States. I know they have great online forums and the guys over on that forum are pretty much as cool as you guys here but if I have a serious problem, is one of you going to jump on a plane to come help me? I'm just too far away.

The DSMLink on the other hand was bench tested with a JDM single board EPROM ECU by the DSMLink guys, and apart from a few idiosyncracies that might be an issue if I tried to run a Cyclone direct from the ECU and a reputed difference with the fuel pump relay wiring, it does work. That's a load off my mind because it means the car should just go together and fire up even if the tune isn't spot on out of the box.

I'm not disputing the fact that the AEM 'can' be setup to give excellent driveability but I think I might be expecting a bit too much if I thought I could set it up perfectly right now. I think that when I find the DSMLink to be too restrictive and I feel I need more control, it will be a pretty good indication that I've learned enough and moved on to the point where I should be looking at an AEM or AUTRONIC or whatever! I do envy the target A/F ratio that AEM users have though and the ridiculous MPG that Tom Noonen could get with it!!

A MAP sensor is also recommended for the DSMLink and I'll be fitting one!

cheekychimp

Quote:
With a proper tune, a MAP sensor will outperform an AFM in every way.
Especially with regards to Air Temp correction.

I don't understand why you're using DSMlink, it's such an outdated system and hasn't been developed in over 2 years.

There is such a huge range of standalone ECU's available and they are all fairly cheap.

I'm not arguing either, but I find it rather amusing that when I first came on the board and was thinking about using an AEM, people were telling me that it was "too much" for me, and that I should consider using DSMLink. Then I buy DSMLink and people ask me why I'm not using AEM.

I am pretty honest and personally I just don't think I have the ability to tune an AEM myself.

The reason everyone here says that is because America is so far behind in ECU technology it's not funny.

Why are you tuning it yourself?

cheekychimp

Because the costs of having someone tune it here are silly and I'd rather learn than have to pay someone to do it from here on in.

Quote:
Because the costs of having someone tune it here are silly and I'd rather learn than have to pay someone to do it from here on in.

That could become a very expensive learning exercise.. lol

Do you have a dyno?

cheekychimp

Lol ...

No, I don't but from what I have 'gleaned' through my research on here is that the dyno is the 'last' critical stage for adding timing. Set up of dead time, fuel trims, fuel and airflow should be possible on the road. Whilst I am obviously a novice and really can't argue this either way, there seem to be quite a few who believe that real world tuning on the road under various driving and road conditions is the only way to go but that the exception to this is the final tweaking of the ignition timing. Your thoughts?

It's hard to tune for full power on the street, well, it is over here anyway, speed limits on the road, traffic and just general obstacles don't really allow you to do WOT tunes in 4th gear.

I think you should tune it on the dyno, then tune it on the street just to clean up the tune. But then again, I have no idea about tuning, and I'd rather pay someone else to do a good job of it rather than try and save a few hundred dollars, only to have to rebuild the engine because my tune blew up my motor.

Hertz

Staff member
If you can't tune it to not blow up you shouldn't be driving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Tuning for power is another story.

brute

I would use 3rd gear to tune. We do not have a 1:1 gear, but 3rd is closer than 4th to being 1:1. Just my thoughts.

I guess that explains why everyones dyno graphs say gear 3

I wonder how much power I'd make if I did mine in gear 3

1gnasty

Quote:
I would use 3rd gear to tune. We do not have a 1:1 gear, but 3rd is closer than 4th to being 1:1. Just my thoughts.

for what i understand every car a 1.1 and a overdrive so i guess 4 has to be a 1.1

1gnasty

Quote:
I guess that explains why everyones dyno graphs say gear 3

I wonder how much power I'd make if I did mine in gear 3

not everyone dynos in 3, some people dont doit because it puts to much stress in the motor on 4 gear

brute

Quote:
for what i understand every car a 1.1 and a overdrive so i guess 4 has to be a 1.1

Not every car has a 1:1. In the AT DSMs, 3rd is 1:1; however, MT do not have a 1:1 gear.

1st 2.846
2nd 1.684
3rd 1.115
4th 0.833
5th 0.666

The 1g DSM AWD MT 1st gear is 3.083, which is why lots of DSMers use the GVR4 1st gear-it is slightly taller at 2.846.

slugsgomoo

the reason that it's not a good idea to dyno in 4th is that not only is it significantly overdriven at .833, it's also the single weakest gear in the whole transmission, so putting all that stress on it doesn't seem wise.

You'll read a tiny bit higher in 3rd than you will in 4th, but it doesn't matter. dyno's are for tuning, trap speeds read power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

hey man, I lost your #. Hit me up 615-4421. I've been checking out Sandia Speedway whenever they have street nights and drift events. you should roll, I've just watching but eventually want to run my car at the street nights next summer. time to start planning haha. later.

PJGross

Quote:
I'm not arguing either, but I find it rather amusing that when I first came on the board and was thinking about using an AEM, people were telling me that it was "too much" for me, and that I should consider using DSMLink. Then I buy DSMLink and people ask me why I'm not using AEM.

I just had to chuckle since this thread is over 2 yrs old and things have changed since the start of it. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

(no knocks, though, my car hasn't daily driven in much longer than that and I'm sporting a MAF translator + SAFC FTL... but it was pimp (controversially) back in the day)

I was skimming through this thread and the car is starting to make me think of the jackie chan car in Cannonball Run II. How many miles of wiring is going to be in this thing?

Again, no knocks, I'd really like to see this car in person when its done. It would take weeks to go through it and see all of the small details. Very cool stuff.

-PJ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts