The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

cheekychimp

I tried uploading pictures last night, but the server wouldn't have it! I'll try again tonight, but we didn't get the engine in. Had problems with the front sub-frame and swaybar bushings. I seem to remember Whiteline left us high and dry with the front 24 mm bar. They basically stopped production and refused to make 24 mm bushings or a new bracket to fit the larger bar. The front brackets are also difficult to fabricate because they are only bolted at one end.

I'll try to post the pictures tonight. Where's my suede? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

curtis

I know damn it I'll go jump him tomorrow about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

cheekychimp

I have no idea what is up with my connection. Each picture takes 15 minutes to load. There are still a load more to go. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

in that first pic is that bracing from the strut tower to firewall. I was thinking of something similar.

curtis

more pictures.....now.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4orced4door

Hey Paul, it's awesome to see you're finally making some progress putting parts on the car after all this time! I bet it feels good.

turboflanagan

With all the crap you are putting on that thing, it is great you got the 4 ton floor jack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheekychimp

Oi, Flanagan!

The only reason Craftsman made those was because of the USDM VR4 ... Cruise Control, Sun Roof, Electric Seatbelts, 70 lb bumper supports fore AND aft, not to mention all the Emissions rubbish!

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Paul's getting cocky ...he must have been into the red wine storehouse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

slugsgomoo

Quote:
Oi, Flanagan!

The only reason Craftsman made those was because of the USDM VR4 ... Cruise Control, Sun Roof, Electric Seatbelts, 70 lb bumper supports fore AND aft, not to mention all the Emissions rubbish!

aside from the sunroof, it's still a retardedly heavy car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mine is super light with no drivetrain though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I want to see the honeymoon video /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cheekychimp

Finally got to the shop today. Didn't make loads of progress but damn it feels good to be back at the car again. First off I posted before about the problems I had with the mounts and bushings for the larger diameter front sway bar. I was so sick of trying to hack it before going back to the UK I had Ken drop it off at the machine shop for this to be done:

I was going to put this on today but I have just had some new rally spec sub frame bushings come in courtesy of RayH and I want to put those on. (Ray I spoke to Robert today and I'm going to pick the bushings up and hopefully get them pressed in by next Friday)

The front sway bar has come out so well I think eventually I will get the rear done as well, but I can't bring myself to pull the rear again right now. I'm going to get the car running and then take it up to Ken's, put it on the lift and drop the rear out when I have a couple of days. I'll fit the rear bushings and get the rear sway-bar mounts at the same time.

We fitted a couple of bits back into the engine bay and then took some measurements for some new brake lines. I left after that to go and see someone about my troublesome alarm on the Type R. Got the driver's door lock cracked and he's going to figure out the remote start, windows and the valet take over switch next Friday. Whilst I was doing that, my man put the wiring loom that we spent that morning cleaning up back in with the nice fuse box.

It is actually starting to look like an engine bay instead of a shell.

curtis

Love the fuse box cover. Thats 100% JDM. Got the one you can read in your pile of stuff. Yes folks we have stuff here I need to finish and ship..

Why are you doing all this work on the car, but you're still using an Air flow meter?

cheekychimp

Because it's still a streetcar.

I had a lot of discussions with guys at the beginning and the consensus was that the Air Flow meter really isn't THAT much of a restriction until you start to get to very high power levels which I'm not aiming for.

In fact I don't honestly believe the Air Flow meter is a restriction per se, it flows more than enough air, it is just that beyond a certain airflow it can't measure the airflow fast enough to make it accurate leading to poor air/fuel ratios.

I doubt I'll get past the overrun point and even if I do I'm going to be running DSMLink which clamps the MAF signal just before the overrun point and switches over to a crude SD setup at WOT only.

For a street car I think it's the perfect system. It gives you better airflow than a MAF at WOT whilst maintaining the good driveability of the MAF at lower speeds.

What about map sensor stuff though? Dont you think AEM would give you more flexability?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts