The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Yea. The stupid thing is I think about getting another one. Dammit I promised myself I would only get one! I cannot afford another one.

No i'm not. I flat out cannot afford it. But I know of one for sale at a decent price so I cannot say i'm not tempted...

Bimmubishi

I don't want the work. I'll send it back to TRE and we can kiss it goodbye for 2 months, risk the liability of having a $6k transmission lost buy UPS with rare parts that are virtually irreplaceable.

Am I upset about the trans because the responsibility is on me to make this work. It probably takes about 4 hours a week to oversee this and that's not even on the parts that I sell/modify/make money from. That's phone, PM and other time boxing, moving, packing, sorting etc.

I don't have any interest or experience in creating a gearbox with a mish mash of parts and gears and don't want the liability of having something go wrong. Jon is the expert and this should be considered his project, only now I've become the project manager-volunteer.

Bim,

It 100% sucks that you are in this position. I called Jon weekly at first and then DAILY (after many months) with promises almost everytime that it was "all done" or "shipping monday" blah blah. I hope it survives the trip there and back again and gets fixed.

Bimmubishi

I feel bad for Paul and me because Paul doesn't have what he wants, and me, who was only the one to recieve and re-ship has now become an unwitting project manager.

Bimmubishi

The main problem here is communication. Paul, you created a custom box and from what I understand, there were several incompatibilities that you didn't forsee. The incompatibilities were in the shafts and gears and he dealt with them as best he knew how given what we both thought your car was going to do for power and it's rev limit, desired top speed etc.. Teet was talking to Jon initially right? I was talking to Jon, you were talking to Jon, the guy had to take orders from more than 3 people (in his defense) I don't know Jon but it seems like he knows what he's doing from where I stand. The trans looks beautiful it's too bad that it's not exactly what you want. Is it even possible to get the exact build you want? I'm by no means a trans expert so I have no idea.

cheekychimp

Well, it's like you said basically communication is the problem. I am too far away to be honest. Looks like I'll just have to take this in the butt and accept the trans as is then. If it gets lost the whole project is down the tubes. It's just that there is no where in Hong Kong to build the trans if it goes wrong. Bottom line for me is I feel worried because I have so much money invested here and if the engine and turbo prove to be the demise of the box there will be no-one to fix it ... period.

I'm sorry it became so much work for you Al. It isn't fair on you and I don't want you spending any more time on this at the expense of other customers. Just ship everything out when it's ready and let me know the additional shipping costs for me to settle up with you from here.

Chris. Think about that dogbox and decide if you want it. If not drop me a PM. I might need a backup plan.

Al, again I'm sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off. Take it easy. I'll need to find another workaround here.

Paul.

Gary_Chiu

You can always have another tranny built. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That way, if the first one breaks, you will have a spare on hand.

Go with a Shep trans the second time around so you can compare the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

curtis

Check your PM's Paul.

CP

So you guys CAN rebuild rear diffs? How much labor (hours) are we talking just to shim it properly so it quiets down?

Bimmubishi

about 4 hours labor + bearings and shims. We don't really want to do this unless you're a big baller like Paul and buy nice diffs though. You can buy another junkyard diff for $300 bucks so it's probably not worth the money.

Al

JB

Paul is definitely a baller... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

powerplay

Alex, The problem with the diff. in the junkyards is they all have 80-120K miles on them and they need to be rebuilt. I am on my third and it needs to be rebuilt/re-shimmed too. So, I see an opportunity to teach (Prof. Bill in front of the class) and or provide services to the Galant community. May I suggest Prof. Bill provide some evening/weekend adult education to a youthful group who could bring notebooks, cameras and even a few Diffs to work on? Of course, I am sure there would be some fee to join the class, that would be expected. Each student could bring his own lab materials; seals, bearings, shims and a victim to work on. I know there are several willing students in the area who would sign up for the tutorial.

Ted Andkilde

Quote:
Somehow I don't think he'll go for that.

Oh you just know that some brown-noser would ruin it by bringing a case of microbrew for the teacher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Cheers, Ted

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts