The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TH3 Lazy arse Australian / New Zealand Picture build thread

fuel

pffft who cares about Subarus, it's not like they own the colour or anything!

Just those watanabe wheels look so much sweeter in bronze (more so than gold), or even a dark gun-metal

C110-dish.jpg

car_6.jpg

ozyvr4

Thanks guys. I did think about painting them gold but after a quick coat of black & fitting to the car , I was hooked with the black.

I'm thinking about painting my 18"s black also & keep the silver lip.

They all look great fella's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Well done!

Fuel.......what the hell is that white car in those wheel pics?

fuel

C110 Skyline GT-R, 'ken-meri'

they cost more 2nd hand than a brand new R35 GT-R in japan!

mrnvit

Quoting mrnvit:
speaking of mech lsd's i got one sold as a evo 3 one for $55nzd this morning.
it has the "washer" so its a mech, just weather its a e1 rs or e2 or 3 one is yet to be confirmed.

approx $38 usd goodness
mech evo lsd

cheekychimp

Quoting fuel:
C110 Skyline GT-R, 'ken-meri'

they cost more 2nd hand than a brand new R35 GT-R in japan!

^Right Dat!

One for sale here for around $56,000-USD. Very nice but given you could almost buy a house for that in some places it is a lot for something older than the VR4. A nice one however if kept might be a 'real' investment. Thread jacking a little here but on a recent trip to look at a VR4, the importer told me he recently acquired a showroom condition GTR-32 that had been driven for 3 years (minimum miles) then stored in a showroom (literally). He bought it for a paltry $5000-USD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

RedTwo

GTO/3000GT/Diamante trailing arm. I had to hit the dust shields with an angle grinder so I can run the larger 297mm discs and twin piston calipers, over the 284mm single piston calipers.

And on the car - all the arms bolt up, sway bar lines up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
It looks like the eccentric camber bolt washer actually reduces the total available camber adjustment significantly.
Also, at first fitting it appears to give a noticeable increase to toe in! Compared to the factory trailing arms it almost looks like it's bent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Brakes on! Notice the Rangi wheel spacers (aka washers) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif These are only temporary! the center bore of the hub is about 2mm too deep for the wheels I'm going to use - for some reason the bloody wheels center bore tapers inwards! Time for more angle grinding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Damn, I should splash on some new batteries so I can use the flash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

H05TYL

Interesting, do the GTO trailing arms increase the rear track much/any?

I've got a pair of n/a GTO rear axles (splines are the same as an evo/4 bolt plate lsd) and they are somewhat longer than vr4 axles.

Also if I were to go down this route I may not be able to fit my wheels under the rear guards

mrnvit

like the cookie time suspension, is that a new product on the market? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

fuel

can the excess toe in be corrected?

RedTwo

I'm not rolling on bump stops - I'm rolling on cookie crumbs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif It's just there to catch all the brake fluid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

From memory the track on both vehicles is about the same, but does it change when you swap bits around? The GTO runs 8 inch wide wheels and the upper control? arm is the same length as the VR4 but the GTO axle (and therefore the subframe) is slightly longer/wider. However the drum brake causes the rotor to stick out (from the trailing arm) a little further than the VR4.

The suspension is just sitting there with the bolts in to stop it falling off. I haven't played with the adjustment yet and I don't know for sure if it's actually increased the toe or it's just a visual thing. I will play with it and see what I come up with.

A little extra 'toe in' on the rear isn't *that* bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif improves straight line stability at the cost of tire wear and cornering response - it's not like we launch these cars around corners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedTwo

I got high tech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif and measured this new trailing arm set up versus the stock one.
String line FTW!

First discovery: GTO trailing arms increase the track/offset by about 10mm, so about a +20mm increase overall!

With all the eccentric washers removed and the nuts removed I did some brute force measurements through the toe and camber range. There is a whole heap of inaccuracy? in my method so take all of this with a grain of salt! So I based on the assumption that the side skirts are parallel to the direction of travel and I can't guarantee the accuracy of the camber calculation.

GTO:
Toe +0.03* to +0.85* (or 1'48" to 51') (61.5mm to 65.2mm)
Camber -7.01* (or 7*0'34") (63.4mm to 78.4mm)

VR4
Toe +1.58* to +1.92* (79.5mm to 82.0mm)
Camber -8.07* (75.5mm to 91.0mm)

The factory adjustment range is according to the FSM:
Toe 3 +/- 3mm
Camber -1*00' +/- 30'

So in conclusion - I have no f***ing idea if it improves things or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Somehow the old 15" wheels fit on over the ~300mm rotors! Would need to grind off the Mitsubishi letters or run another spacer (washer) for it to work

16x8 +30 also clears these brakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This Is SPARTA!

I think it's sticking out just a tad too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I think this means the fronts will be worse. Maybe it's time to fab up those box fenders I've been day dreaming about!

H05TYL

You won't need box fenders, the camber gained as the suspension compresses will tuck it in I suspect. Put a jack under the wheel and try it.

For example, I have 18x9 +30's on the front (no brake disc fitted in the left hand side pics either).

fitment-1.jpg
2010_0227bookses0075.jpg

fitment-2.jpg
2010_0227bookses0090.jpg

RedTwo

18x9? Dang! I will have to play with it then.
Slight hitch with the handbrake - the GTO cable extends about 150mm further than the VR4 cable, which is about 25-50mm too short to fit into the drum. Conundrums, but purhaps I can play with the stock adjustment on the handbrake

VR42LT

Update

MAGNUS headstuds

1mm oversize stailess steel valves

Ported head with Crower spring and retainer kit

Crower cams

can't let this one get away without adding some pictures of mine.

mine is a backyard build that has been a long time coming.

and this is why it went off the road....3months after an engine rebuild /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned