The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Street legal

What interior do you have to have to be street legal? I wanna make the Galant as light as possible and still be street legal.

Muskrat

I take a stab at this:

1) Driver's seat
2) DOT seat belt (NOT a harness)
3) Dash cluster

That's probably the bare minimum, but I'd imagine it'd be terribly uncomfortable. If you're going to go that far, why not just build a dedicated race car?

Nate

Harness is not enough for the DOT. Yes, it's idiotic.

However, I've never had a problem passing inspection with a 5 point.

Muskrat

I guess I should have been more clear. ONLY having a harness is illegal. You must have a DOT approved seat belt, and most race harnesses don't have that certification. I wouldn't blame the DOT though, I'm sure you COULD make a race harness road legal, but it's probably not worth the effort and expense for the manufacturer.

turbowop

I think they make harnesses that are DOT approved and have inertia reels, but I've never had a problem with my regular Sparco 5points.

BoostedAWD91

usually depends alot on where you go to get the car inspected. Some people are real assholes about everything and some places u wont have any problems. well thats how its been for me trying to get my galant inspected at least.

TakumiJr

I passed mass inspection with a gutted interior, welded sunroof, welded rear door panels, just two seats and harnesses, and a dash. I've been pulled over four times and the cop just hassled a bit, but no tickets.

Schroth makes street legal harnesses. I used them on my Datsun Roadster.
Mike R.

Dialcaliper

Schroth makes them - the only thing that makes most harnesses "illegal" is the lack of a big red button that says "PUSH" so that the EMT's can extract you quickly from your smouldering wreck. It's got nothing to do with the number of restraint points. (Also, the letter from the NHTSA) lever-style Cam-locks and Latch devices are basically what make most harnesses non-DOT, because they are designed to be less likely to come loose accidentally. Pretty stupid, but them's the rules.

Schroth makes both the "Rallye" style tuning belts, and the full ASM 4/5/6 point harnesses with street legal push style buttons. The "Profi FE" series 4-point belts (upgradable to 5/6 point) are street legal (For rally cars that must also be street legal in North America)

There's also a fine line between what is technically legal, and what will get you harassed.

Lastly, there's the visibility issue being clamped to your seat by a harness. Schroth also has 3/4 point harnesses that use inertia reels that can also be locked using a switch.

Quoting mj_rosenfeld:
Schroth makes street legal harnesses. I used them on my Datsun Roadster.
Mike R.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts