The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Studed snow tires.

gvr4ever

It would seem that they are legal in Indiana between October 1 to May 1 and I've always wanted to try them. I've looked at tire rack and they talk about them, but they don't seem to even sell the studs or the install tool.

For those who have used them, where do you get them? What are good ones to get? Just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of useful information on them, or I'm just not looking in the right place.

turbowop

As good as today's studless snow tires are, I don't think they're really necessary, IMO. They also can tear up roads and driveways.

Barnes

I have studded snow tires only because I bought my tires/rims used and that's what was available. I don't really know how much they help unless you are on REALLY icy stuff. That being said, my studded snows do very well in any snow conditions. But if I had my choice, I'd go without studs. The rest of the time studs are INCREDIBLY loud and annoying. Also, you can't install studs yourself (as far as I know) tirerack will stud them for you for a fee.

gvr4ever

Quoting turbowop:
As good as today's studless snow tires are, I don't think they're really necessary, IMO. They also can tear up roads and driveways.

You are right. I've read that they only help on ice now because winter tires are so good. I kinda wanted my own install tool so they could be removed and installed at will. I'd only use them in icy conditions, but the winter part is my favorite part of the GVR4. It has gotten through blizzards and many snow storms. AWD rules.

SouthCaliVR4

if you run a stud tire without studs you will NEVER be able to stud them. you can remove from an old tire & run without but once used it's impossible to put them in. I worked at firestone in washington many moons ago, I've studed thousands of tires & was over it after the first one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BrandonEchols

Studs can only be installed on brand new tires, and most cannot be re-studded. Shops won't do it because it's dangerous. I doubt you need them there (just a guess), and a studless would serve you well. Look at Nokian Hakkapeliitta , or Blizzak. Both are great, I prefer the Hakkapeliittas. But they aren't cheap.

gvr4ever

I wasn't aware studded snow tires worked like that. Like I said, I've had a difficult time finding a lot of information on them. Guess I'll just stick to good ol fashion snow tires. Currently running yokohama ice guard. They work just fine and I've had blizzaks in the past. They always work well, but in deep snow, icy condition, even they can start to feel a tad loose. I've never lost control and I guess that's all that matters.

BrandonEchols

Get the Nokians if you want something that will out perform the Blizzaks. Of course there is more to it than that, storage method, age, etc all play a roll. But I liked the Nokians better. Couldn't hardly make them slide, even when I wanted to, damn car felt like it was glued tot he road.

gvr4ever

Where did you buy the Nokians? Their web page looks global.

turbowop

The Nokians and Blizzaks are awesome. I've had Blizzaks and Toyo Observes on 503 in the past, and put Blizzaks on my girlfriend's Audi. All are great. This year I had a set of General Altimax Arctics put on and they are the best bang for the buck studless snow tire I've run yet. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Obligatory snow shot:

Brianawd

I have studded snow tires on my evo. The only time they really shine is in freezing rain. also its realy not worth paying the extra money to have studs. All new studs are alumunum and will wear out in a season or two of use. Only reason I have them is because I was looking for a studdless snow tire and these popped up on craigs list. Mine are a studdable studless snow tire.

BoostedAWD91

I have Hankook Winter IPike's that are studable, but they work so well by themselves i wouldn't really ever see the need for studs unless your in more icy conditions

Brianawd

Quote:
I have Hankook Winter IPike's that are studable, but they work so well by themselves i wouldn't really ever see the need for studs unless your in more icy conditions

I have the same tires on the evo and love them.

Ted Andkilde

Studs are absolutely unbeatable on ice and black ice, don't provide any real benefit in deep snow and are a little spooky on dry pavement. FWIW, they're illegal here and I run them anyway. I do tons of highway miles, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Buffalo, Louisville, mixed ice and snow.

Blizzaks and "studless" snows are better in deep snow but not even close on ice.

Tire Rack carries a line of inexpensive studdable Firestone Winterforces, they charge $15/ea extra for studding, about $75/tire last set I bought.

Studs are steel body with a tungsten core, they theoretically might hurt the roads if everyone ran them, no noticeable marks on my asphalt driveway after 5 winters. If it really worries you, Hakka makes retractable studs that only extend below freezing.

Cheers, Ted

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned