The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedometer going crazy

Hey all, discovered a new issue today lol, my speedometer keeps going up even if I'm not accelerating (for instance, I was driving 25mph on base this morning and my speedometer went up to 75!). The fact that it doesn't work doesn't bother me, but I don't want to get a ticket. What are the approximate RPM to speed ratios? I'm used to using my tach to check my speed from my old Saab lol

Hertz

Staff member
Sounds like you need a new speedo cable.

1st gear, 4000 rpm 19 MPH
2nd gear, 4000 rpm 32 MPH
3rd gear, 4000 rpm 48 MPH
4th gear, 4000 rpm 65 MPH
5th gear, 4000 rpm 81 MPH

Assuming 24.5 inch tire diameter, stock gear ratios and xfer case, etc.

Go get maxspeed.xls from the Library for variations.

Barnes

Hey Hertz, I don't see how that could be caused by the speedo cable. I would suspect it is something to do with the magnetic coupling that is in the speedometer gauge assembly itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

4thStroke

Im with barnes on this one. A bad cable will just wobble the needle and make a ticking noise. I dont see how the cable would physically be moving faster.

TRBODSM

My speedo went out like a month ago and I would be in 1st or 2nd gear and would read 95mph and jump all over the place. I replaced speedo and havnt had a problem since.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned