The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner #1983.

Gmoney1983

Guess this is the place to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I'm the proud new owner of #1983/2000. Just picked up the car a couple weeks ago and have started some much needed maintenance and repairs.
When I first bought the car the check engine light was on. It needed a new alternator and clutch master cylinder. And from the codes I assumed it needed a TPS sensor and an ECT sensor. Turns out I just needed to do a little wire repair. After doing all of that the car still ran like crap at idle and was surging. After reading what seemed like a million idle surge threads, I just couldn't get it to idle well. Well upon removing the loom to rewire the TPS harness, I found 2 injector clips had really bad wires and one injector only had one wire hooked up to it. Fixed all that and what do you know car fires right up on the first turn of the key. And sounds about a million times cleaner too. After getting it to fire on all 4, i finally got the idle calmed down.
The idle is still not perfect as when its idling at 800 rpm it only pulls about 9-10 inches of vacuum. But if i hold it at say 1000 or 1200 rpm it pulls about 14-15 inches. which is about normal for 6000ft abbove sea level. About the same as my turbo cav would pull at idle. I still need to check base timing but thats next on my list. I also got a used eprom ecu as my current non-eprom shows signs of leaky caps. The new ecu appears to have had the caps replaced as they all say 105c.
I've also changed all of the fluids. Replace the super worn out motor mounts with some prothane inserts. Replaced the totally blown front struts, only to find the front springs have been cut. Coilovers on the list to buy soon. I got some speed source shifter bushings and base bushings going in right now also.

Alright mods i think or was told were on the car. 5 lug swap with Evo 8 wheels, 16g turbo with 2g exhaust manifold and possibly 2g o2 housing, 3" turbo back with a magna flow muffler, 1g dsm shifter, 4 bolt lsd rear diff. A walbro 255, that thing is loud. It also has what appears to be a 1g side mount intercooler(really want to replace soon. Thinking about just getting a ebay kit.)And a greddy knock off BOV, non-recirculated. Really want to replace that with probably a stock 1g bov and would love to recirculate it also.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what front and rear bumper are on it. They don't appear stock and my searches just come up with some kind of JDM bumpers. Also unsure about the grill and the headlights. I think the lights are 93.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome front bumper looks like jdm without the fogs and rear bumper stock. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Defiant

Welcome!!

A non-recirculated isnt the best idea unless you want to go speed density. It will cause your car to stall and to run rich between shifts.

DynastyLCD

welcome! you have a very nice looking GVR4! i've ALWAYS wanted a white one with Evo 8 wheels like yours!

Gmoney1983

The bov came like that. Definitely not my idea. Lots of stuff to do still but at she runs good now. Hoping for a new intercooler and intake setup with recirculated bov by Xmas time. Then some tuning. I may go speed density or I might just snag an evo Mas. Still unsure. I'll get some engine shots up tonight, but she ain't real pretty under there right now.

5OF2k

Welcome to the site! Glad to see another CO person in da house! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Our cars are practically twins, pretty sweet! Whats-his-face above is correct in saying you've got the JDM front bumper, also looks like '93 headlights and grille, along with amber corners. Definitely looks clean though, I like it!

Quoting Defiant:
Welcome!!

A non-recirculated isnt the best idea unless you want to go speed density. It will cause your car to stall and to run rich between shifts.

Not necessarily, you can also run vented to atmosphere with a properly setup GM MAF/Trans, so long as its in-line after the BOV(best, IMHO). Im in speed density on my car now, but if I werent, a GM MAF/Trans would be on the to do list.

-Jake

Gmoney1983

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It is pretty clean for the most part. The passenger side rear needs some work as its kinda crunched. Got the shifter bushings all installed. Now all I need to do is fill the rear diff and flush the coolant. Then some cleaning. Got a few more pics.

2g manifold?

BpuVR4

Quoting Gmoney1983:
The bov came like that. Definitely not my idea. Lots of stuff to do still but at she runs good now. Hoping for a new intercooler and intake setup with recirculated bov by Xmas time. Then some tuning. I may go speed density or I might just snag an evo Mas. Still unsure. I'll get some engine shots up tonight, but she ain't real pretty under there right now.

seriously, why the F do so many people refuse to circulate their bov??? just leave well enough alone! I feel like in order for me to undo my prev owner's stupidity, gotta wait til i re-route my intake.

great looking car OP. hope she does you well

Gmoney1983

Got a bunch of stuff ordered and waiting to install. Got a front mount, maft with a maf, and a nice fuel rail with -6an in/out. Also replaced the evo wheels with some nice 16s. And some evo 8 struts with hotchkis lowering springs. Still need to het the rears welded up. I'll get some pics up when I get my computer hooked back up, just moved to SLC, and its all packed away right now.

GSX_TC

Welcome to the site. Those are either AMG or EDM corners and that's an Eterna grill you got there buddy, and of course 93 glass headlights. I'll buy that grill if you don't Like it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Also, are you on FB?

Last edited:

Gmoney1983

Sorry, think I'm gonna have to hold onto the grill for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I love the way the front of the car looks, now if I could just find some foglights to put on it. Then I can call it good on the front end.

Yes I am on fb. Mike marlatt. I'd link ya to it but I'm still getting used to this new phone and I'm not sure how to do it yet.

She's coming along pretty good I think. If I could just get this pile o parts installed I'd be really happy. Hoping the intercooler will go on without bumper removal. And I still need to get some injectors and a wideband so I can install the maft. I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to throw it on without some sort of monitoring device. Gonna try and pick up a datalogger soon also. Loving this car more and more everyday, and she's even pulling better mpgs than my subi was. Currently getting about 24 mpg.

GSX_TC

Yeah I would hold onto them too if I were you, to make things easier you can just click on this www.Facebook.com and add me. As for the Foglights, I would keep my eyes peeled for them on eBay because they are always on sale on there.

GSX_TC

Thanks man

Gmoney1983

A few more pics. Got some more of the wiring cleaned up. rewired asnd rerouted the o2 sensor harness, The new wheels and a few random pics of the car at red rocks right before I left CO. I'll get some pics of the new parts I need to install soon.

TRBODSM

I used to own this car a while back. Funny that I have a pic of it at red rocks also. Here's when I had it and before it got the rear quarter damage from one of the many owners after me.
DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

Gmoney1983

And in the same parking lot at red rocks to boot. I really hope one day to have it back at the level of awesome you had it. I can tell you this much, if you saw the shape its in now you'd be pretty disappointed. I've done enough to it to make it drivable, but it still needs tons of work. The guy I bought if from said he bought it as a shell, and it looks to me that he just threw it together enough to sell it.
The entire wiring harness is trashed, from the ecu out to the headlights. So many cuts and splices it's not even funny. The body is still fairly straight minus Tue rear quarter. The trans mount was missing the through bolt as was the front motor mount. The front struts were missing the nuts that attach it to the knuckle. All four mounts were completely thrashed. The front struts were so blown it would bottom out ok every bump I hit,likely due to the front springs being cut. The interior is pretty shot too, all the seats are torn up. The battery was tied to the strut tower with some 10 gauge wire. The abs sensors were all cut and ziptied insider the fender wells. And the list goes on and on. But I just couldn't pass it up for the price.
But seeing your pics shows me the potential the car has. I know it can be nice again, just gonna take a little time and a lot of money. I plan on doing it up right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts