The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SLOOOW SPOOL EVO 3 B16G

Gvr41415

JUST WANT TO WHAT A GVR4 WITH EVO 3 B16G AND 3IN TURBO BACK WITH STOCK FUEL CONTROLL, AND PRETTY MUCH OE ERYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE SPOOLING @3K,3.5K,4K AND 4.5K. RIGHT NOW MY CAR FEELS LIKE A DOG 3K-4.5K. 3K-3.5K BULDS 0-5PSI, 3.5K-4K BUILDS TO 10PSI @ 4.5K ITS AT ABOUT 15 AND THEN PEAKS TO 16-17PSI. IS 17 PSI TOO MUCH TO BE RUNNING? ON STOCK ENGINE?
CURRENTLY ON 1415 I HAVE AFTERMARKERT LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL,EVO 3B16G AND O2 HOUSING, EBAY HEADERS,BC CAMS NOT SURE WHAT SIZE COMPRESSION WAS 130PSI ACROSS WITH OIL +5-10PSI HEARD MIGHT BE NORMAL WITH OUT ADJUSTIBLE GEARS?? NOT SURE WHAT O.E. SPEC IS EITHER.. O.E. INTAKE, O.E. INTERCOOLER AND PIPING, O.E. FUEL CONTROLL INJECTORS AND PUMP PRETTY MUCH O.E EVERYTHING ELSE.

SORRY I GOT ALOT OF QUESTIONS AND THERE ALL KIND MIXED UP.
BASICLLY JUST WANNA KNOW
1. O.E COMPRESSION WITH STOCK CAMS & AFTERMARKET CAMS
2. PEAK BOOST AND HOW FAST SHOULD IT BUILD WITH E3B16G
3. BEST WAY TOO GET QUICKER SPOOL UP

THANKS GUYS I APPRECIAT ALL THE FEEDBACK.

fuel

Ok for starters - turn your damn caps lock key off.

Secondly, I would say you have a boost leak. I have stock cams, intercooler (JDM) and exhaust and with a hybrid TD05-20G I spool 10psi around 3500rpms.

ktmrider

Ebay tubular header and stock/OEM IC are your enemies, especially that exhaust manifold. Cams could also be impacting, most of them are designed to flow better at higher RPM's at the expense of low ( and slow spool ). Cam timing will also affect spool. List goes on.

Compression is compression regardless of cams, ours is 7.8:1.

Stock cams, 2g or EVO3 exhaust manifold, any other IC than stock, and a decent tune should help.

transparentdsm

Quoting ktmrider:
Ebay tubular header and stock/OEM IC are your enemies, especially that exhaust manifold. Cams could also be impacting, most of them are designed to flow better at higher RPM's at the expense of low ( and slow spool ). Cam timing will also affect spool. List goes on.

Compression is compression regardless of cams, ours is 7.8:1.

Stock cams, 2g or EVO3 exhaust manifold, any other IC than stock, and a decent tune should help.

i think he means cylinder head compression not piston compression. he is looking for 145 psi not the 7.8:1 ratio

having the right tune or atleast the right chip is a big thing.

ktm is right though the ebay manifold and stock IC are definitely hurting you.

ktmrider

^^ If that's the case keep in mind altitude, here at 5300ft+ a healthy 1g motor will see around 120psi.

GSX_TC

The EVO III Looks legit to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Jason G.

The arm for wastegate is clearly not MHI.

That's not to say it's just that housing though.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

17psi is way too much boost for a 16g on stock fuel support and stock intercooler. The stock fuel pump, wiring, and USDM intercooler are all garbage.

jnava

Staff member
You need bigger injectors,intercooler, fuel pump,fpr, and some form of tuning to support that turbo.

Gvr41415

thanks guys for all the input. i just want to say i bought the car exactly how it is now with out the clutch i put in it. from what i can tell this car used to have much more mods and something plugged into or near the ecm, all the the wires look like they been shoved back in carelessly the guy told me he put parts onto his gvr4 from this one. i have most of the stuff to support this boost level but i havent installed it cuz i want to be sure its running right first. got evo 560 inj, 255 pump and rewire kit, 2g maf and maf-t,and and afc just waiting to be thrown in there once i figure this out.

i boost leak tested it and it has no leaks i can hear.
i dont really think just o.e.ic and cheap manifold would make it lag that much.

so i read some post about about lag on 16gs and the actuaters not being closed or having to shim them or something when there put on a diff turbo, not sure if this is the one that came with 16g or not. but i took it off today and it was a bitch to get the bolt holes to line back up, felt like it had to bow somewhat to thread the damn thing. the c-clip was still there. how do i tell if i have the right actuator or which one i have?? also gonna check for collapsed hoses.

LIV4PSI

The cheap manifold will cause lag because they don't seal properly. It is likely you have a pre-turbo exhaust leak.

And if you know the car is running too much boost for the current mods, why haven't you turned it down? As far as your planned mods go, the 560cc injectors aren't enough to max out that turbo, a maf-t setup isn't for a 2G MAF, and I would really consider using ECMlink instead of the SAFC.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

The stock FMIC is more restrictive than you can probably imagine. Seriously. It's basically more of a restriction than an intercooler at all, especially when placed behind the factory, uncut bumper.

Also: That exh mani you have, combined with the stock rubber "hotpipe" to the IC is just asking for trouble. I had one start smouldering after i parked my car once. All that heat with rubber that close can be bad news. Fortunately, i was outside working on the yard and my roommate noticed it. I promptly put the "fire" out, and put a heatshield back on before replacing the hose and driving it again. Didn't really matter, though. Less than six months later some 17 year old drunk/stoned asshole hit it while parked with a hyundai accent and totaled it.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Quoting Gvr41415:
thanks guys for all the input.

i dont really think just o.e.ic and cheap manifold would make it lag that much.

Well you're not thankful for all the input based on the last statement.

Think away, or better yet sell me that slow spooling turbo.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Gvr41415

i just did both the gaskets lil over a month ago, and i cant hear or see any signs of leaks. well i dont go racing or driving around @5k+ all the time so its rarely ever hitting 17psi ever, but how should i turn it down? dont have boost controller, and the waste gate actuator has thread and nut wich looks adjustable not sure.

Gvr41415

@ktmrider i said that because a auto 1g eclipse can pull on my car @9psi @3.5k while my car @3.5 only has about 5psi. that sucks.

transparentdsm

KT i forgot about elevation and i was just saying 145 psi as a generalization.. when i lived in tahoe, ca at 6412 ft. my compression was like 118 and that was a fresh motor.

gvr41415 - it isn't any of our faults about the way the car is running and you asked US(the board members) for advice on what is wrong, so we did. did the auto eclipse have the same mods you have? because if there running a scock intercooler in theres its like twice the size of a stock VR-4 IC. Our points being that sh*t flow through a crap manifold and to small of an intercooler will cause lag. you have a bigger turbo pushing more air without proper airflow. not to mention you starving it for fuel.

just thought i would put that out there.

LIV4PSI

Quoting Gvr41415:
i just did both the gaskets lil over a month ago, and i cant hear or see any signs of leaks. well i dont go racing or driving around @5k+ all the time so its rarely ever hitting 17psi ever, but how should i turn it down? dont have boost controller, and the waste gate actuator has thread and nut wich looks adjustable not sure.

If you are running 17psi, there has to be a boost controller. That is more boost than the stock BCS will allow it to run, and more boost than the spring pressure of the actuator.

Gvr41415

@live4psi i think the rood on the actuator is adjustable maybe i can adjust to turn down the boost?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned