The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help sort out my build

Muskrat

Over the summer the car dumped all it's coolant and overheated on the highway. I lost compression, so it was time to tear down the engine and see what's going on. (btw, anything I should look out for on the lower end?)

I was already planning a head rebuild. It's just coming a little sooner than I had thought.

I've got the head pulled, and now I've got "while I'm in there syndrome" and am thinking I might as well just do a full rebuild, instead of just the head like I was planning.

Now I'm trying to sort out what to do.

The goal is 350-400 whp in an occasional driver/autocross car (with an occasional trip to the drag strip)

Off-boost response and spool time are factors I'd like to optimize.

Head:
*DSM Graveyard Frankenstein Stage I w/ port work

I was going to just go mostly stock (maybe evo spring/retainers) but figured for slightly more, I'd do this and not have to worry much about the head down the road.

*ARP Head Studs
*I'm not sure if I should go with an MLS gasket, or a regular gasket.
*Cams - Again not sure. I want to go as small as possible to reduce spool time. Trying to find the right balance between spool and top end power. I think I'll either see what I can do with stockers, or pick up a set of used 264's and go from there.

Block:
*Stock except for:
*Evo pistons on 1g rods

Any reason not to do this? It's about $250 cheaper than the standard Eagle H-beams and Ross piston combo, and should be good for my goals and then some.

Turbo/Intake Set-up:
*Holset HX-35 w/ BEP housing.
*Punishment recirculated O2 housing with Tial 38mm MVS w/g
*FP cast manifold
*ETS Intercooler
*Cylcone intake manifold

Fuel:
*Walboro 255HP
*FIC 850 cc/min injectors
*Aeromotive compact EFI FPR

Tuning:
*DSMlink V2.5

All opinions/suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

$700 for a head rebuild with mild port work?

Unless dsmgraveyard is local to you, I'd save my money and have it done by a local machine shop. Shipping is going to cost you plenty.

I've run heads ported and non, and i honestly don't think there was a noticeable difference.

Muskrat

Their standard, stock rebuild is $290, which seems reasonable.

Add the costs of the non-stock parts (new valves, guides, springs, and seals + 3-angle valve job), and it comes out correct.

Shipping is only $20 from them. I figure a bit more to send the core.

I haven't looked into what shops are local yet, but unless someone comes very highly recommended, I'd trust DSM Graveyard's quality over some random shop.

What would you expect to pay for a similar rebuild, and where at?

mitsuturbo

That actually sounds really reasonable.
I never ship anything anywhere for work though. That way if something goes wrong, i can see them face-to-face, or i could take them to small claims court if necessary.
There is ALWAYS someone local who can do good work, unless you live in the middle of BFE. I like to keep the money circulating locally if possible. It's good to support a DSM-specific business though, so there's that aspect as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts