The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RWD Galant Build

jgriffin

Used to own a galant a few years back, now I know a fair bit about cars and have had a fair bit of experience with a welder, which has made me think, can I do a RWD swap into one, as i plainly remember the only problem with my galant being that it was FWD but had everything else i wanted in a car, i wouldn't have got ridden of it, i'd probably still have the car today if it wasn't for a crash :/
I have seen it done before; FWD swapped into RWD with (seemingly) near-to-no hassle. I have another car which i will keep through the duration so it won't need to be anything fast, Just a thought. I have also seen classic bodies dropped onto RWD chassis such as HERE
Link to a corsa RWD swap HERE
Please feel free to reply, don't put negative comments because 1. I won't reply, or, for that matter, even take notice of them 2. You're just wasting your time typing it out.

EMX5636

Umm, easiest way out unless you want to build an entire chassis, would be start with an AWD Galant, then either weld the center diff and pull the front axles, or turn the engine longitudinal, get a trans, custom driveshaft etc. Then either beef up the rear, or swap something in.

IncorpoRatedX

Just buy a 70's galant like Tim and I did.

matt92vr4

A buddy and me converted a 3000gt vr4 to rwd about 10 years ago for giggles. He likes it so much, its still rwd to this day. If I remember correctly we just welded the center planetary assembly and called it a day. Left the front axles in for convenience.

gvr4ever

I've heard the mighty max transmission is rather stout. Should be room to rotate the engine the correct way. Might need to do some custom work to fit the transmission, but a AWD Galant would already have the space for the drive shaft and rear diff.

IncorpoRatedX

You'd have to modify the sub frame, change to some other form of steering rack or box since it can't be in that area. So much work for no true benefit.

tektic

there are no older galants in the north east. none without rust at least.

I considered doing a rwd 1g. I did a lot of research. My plan was to use 240sx subframes and rack... then decided against it. Waste of time and effort.

If you want a nice project... something nice, get a 3KGT vr4 a 2.4l mighty max block dohc head and a starion transmission. after fabricating drive shaft and engine mounts and oil pan you should be able to get the stock rack to fit... but then again that's a long shot still.

2.4l mighty max block dohc head + starion only worth while rwd build IMHO.

IncorpoRatedX

That's the only one?

Guess I'll scrap my wagon, Tim, better send your coupe off to scrap...

gvr4ever

Why not start with a Starion Conquest? Its not a 4 door, but it would be a lot less work. If not a Mitsu, then a Nissan or Mazda RWD car. Pretty sure they both have more documented builds and after market support too. While not documented, a 4G63 turbo swap might work with the stock transmission and rear end of a Miata if you don't give it too much power. The stock stuff keeps up with SCed stock engines.

Jesus_Negros

OP is in the UK he could probably buy a 4g63t Starion.

raptorWagon

Quoting Alpha Male:
That's the only one?

Guess I'll scrap my wagon, Tim, better send your coupe off to scrap...

Lol, apparently tektic isn't looking seriously enough, a few have popped up for sale in Jersey and whatnot. If you really wanted one, You would be looking elsewhere Tektic lol. As for the OP, i know the 1st-5th gens exist there, even some Galant GTOs are there in the UK.

Quoting gvr4ever:
Why not start with a Starion Conquest? Its not a 4 door, but it would be a lot less work. If not a Mitsu, then a Nissan or Mazda RWD car. Pretty sure they both have more documented builds and after market support too. While not documented, a 4G63 turbo swap might work with the stock transmission and rear end of a Miata if you don't give it too much power. The stock stuff keeps up with SCed stock engines.

Lol not documented, apparently you have never been to projectzerog.com then.. Plus the g63t was a standard option in the Starions, just not in the US ones, just as our GVR4s are pretty much base model VR4s with a 14b.

presterone

Throw the front wheel drive setup in the back, subframe and all RR galant boo ya

raptorWagon

Buying a RWD Galant is the best option vs buying a FWD/AWD Galant and trying to make it rwd.

Like, my 1976 Galant Coupe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
OP is in the UK he could probably buy a 4g63t Starion.

Good luck finding a non-rusty one! I'm constantly looking for one to eventually bring back to NZ or Aus as I specifically want a UK-spec '88-'89 (RHD, 2.0 4G63, black leather interior, 6-bolt rear etc). Only thing its missing is the SHP rims but I already have a set of them, oh and the speedo is in mph too but I have a JDM GSR-V DASH 7000rpm redline km/h readout cluster to swap in. JDM widebody has the 2.6 and cloth interior and I don't want a US-spec LHD either.

CheapTalon

Quoting Alpha Male:
Just buy a 70's galant like Tim and I did.

....and me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

raptorWagon

^You Sir need another one after You move. Buy Josh's sedan!

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Its not for sale! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptorWagon

Two wagons, a sedan, 2 GVR4s, monturbo, Ben could give the sedan a good home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned