The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

500-600hp engine set up and rwd

Olson

Hi my name is jake and i want to build a rally car that front wheel drive but i want to use my galant how do i make it do that oh i also want to run 1 million horse power!

curtis

Easy on the newbie remember where he's from. There's probably more rally cars over there than you can shake a stick at, not going to dog on the guy for trying something different but yes get the RWD stuff sorted first then worry about going fast.

cheekychimp

LMFAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif (Seriously I just spat my tea all over the monitor!!!)

But being from Oregon isn't justification for being such a miserable cynical bastard either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Edit: Oh sh*t you're from Yakima ... maybe that is justification /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Good thing I'm from Washington state, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh, wtf? Ninja edit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

DR1665

Quoting turbowop:
Being from Norway isn't justification for being a moron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Amen to that. Next thing you know, this guy will have one of the nicest Galants in northern Europe and all he'll do is roll it in and out of the garage to take pictures of $20 grille mods or talk about skiing all the goddamned time or something.

/run
/hide

img.php

fuel

Quoting Muskrat:
Quoting belize1334:
You can transplant a 4g63 into a starion but it doesn't come with one.

Does if you're in Japan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And not just Japan.. Australia, New Zealand, rest of Europe... basically it was just the US who missed out on the 4G63 powered Starions. Just because it doens't exist in the US doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. The world != US.

raptorWagon

Quoting fuel:

And not just Japan.. Australia, New Zealand, rest of Europe... basically it was just the US who missed out on the 4G63 powered Starions. Just because it doens't exist in the US doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. The world != US.

To add, at one point, though it may have just been for the Rally car, There was a AWD Starion at one point.

brisvr4

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting turbowop:
Being from Norway isn't justification for being a moron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Amen to that. Next thing you know, this guy will have one of the nicest Galants in northern Europe and all he'll do is roll it in and out of the garage to take pictures of $20 grille mods or talk about skiing all the goddamned time or something.

/run
/hide

I see what you did there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Muskrat

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting fuel:

To add, at one point, though it may have just been for the Rally car, There was a AWD Starion at one point.

Technically it was 4x4. 50/50 torque split using a Pajero transfer case after the trans.

DR1665

Dude. Nice one, Brian L.!

So the 4WD Starion used a Pajero 4WD tcase. Has there ever been any discussion 'round these parts on other Mitsu tcases? Montero, perhaps?

turbowop

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting turbowop:

/run
/hide

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

H05TYL

Quoting charmcity:
"It requires driver skill and a lack of interest in real racing"

Thats absolutly HALARIOUS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

and it's true.

drifting is like surfing, as a competition it's abit b/s, but it's fun for it's own sake.

fuel

Quoting DR1665:
Dude. Nice one, Brian L.!

So the 4WD Starion used a Pajero 4WD tcase. Has there ever been any discussion 'round these parts on other Mitsu tcases? Montero, perhaps?

It used pajero (or montero to you guys) gear because the engine was mounted north/south like the Pajero, the transfer case was behind the tail shaft of the transmission and then sent power up to a separate front diff mounted just ahead of the sump via a small driveshaft to the side of the engine. The engine was set back a bit into the firewall too. It was basically a factory backed 'after-thought' modification, the Starion chassis was never designed to be anything other than RWD in the first place.

The there was the 4WD Cordia.. this time it was a factory produced to the public 'after-thought' modication.

curtis

I'm fricking dying here....I take a few days to clean shop and make progress and miss out on "bash wop day". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Quoting Muskrat:
Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting fuel:

Technically it was 4x4. 50/50 torque split using a Pajero transfer case after the trans.

4x4 should have a low range in the transfer case, fwiw....

Zod does not approve this thread, except for a couple funnies.

Muskrat

True, I guess technically the term is 4WD. (as opposed to AWD)

I've toyed with the idea of modifying a starion to be AWD with a DSM or Evo drivetrain. It'd be a lot of fabrication for the front suspension and hubs. No one has done it AFAIK. But IMO wouldn't be TOO much harder than an LS or 302 swap, which has been done.

To do what the Group B car would have been would be a lot more work.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned