The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear axles/diff question

Hi,

I am a new member here and have recently purchased a 89 Eterna ZR4.
The list of bits done to it are:

Garrett TO4E turbo
4" full stainless exhaust
custom exhaust manifold
N/A intake manifold
front mount intercooler
Evo 1 coilovers
locked 4WS
and a few other bits and pieces but.

It has been converted to RWD with 4 bolt axles and locked diff. The issue im having is that the right rear axle seems to fall out while driving? Also the splines that go into the diff are both the same length, is one ment to be longer than the other? I think the axles are from a Evo 0 VR4 and possibly the diff to.

I was contemplating converting it back to 4WD but I would prefer to keep it RWD if I can prevent it from dropping a axle.

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks.

fuel

perhaps the locking circlip around the inner CV joint spline is missing? If it has a viscous LSD the shaft splines will be longer (can't remember if it's just one or both), while a mechanical LSD will work with just normal length spline shafts.

I will check that out, also it is quite low with a lot of rear camber which probably wont be helping the situation. I might raise it up a bit.

RedTwo

I agree with the clip missing.

Good:

The clip could have been removed or lost, or the splines at the very end may have been worn down and the clip can't stay on, in which case you may need a new axle cup which are luckily pretty common.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned