The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RPM dropping to low when clutch is pushed in

Tre3zy

so just recently swap my built motor in the galant... got it idling good about 1000rpm my new problem now is that when i push the clutch in it drops down to 500 and holds there... sometimes the car will die... what could be causing the problem??? i checked to see if there's any crank play by prying the crack one way and the flywheel another and there is none... can anyone give me pointers on what to check next???

car spec is:

ACT 2600
6 puck sprung clutch
fidanza flywheel

throttle body has the ISC and FIAV block off...

thnx guys

-triz

MellowVR4

maybe you didnt torque them down properly. like pressure plate

Tre3zy

when idling...

mitsuturbo

You really should use a dial indicator to check clearance on the crank in order to make sure it's neither too loose or too tight.

My thoughts immediately go to crankwalk, as i'm sure is the case with many other readers here.

Tre3zy

Yea thats what i though so too but it use to do that in my old motor as well ever since i put the findanza flywheel... so maybe that could be it???

EMX5636

Do you have DSMLink? I read about an issue like this if you have the clutch-cut wire connected, but don't have the "enable clutch cut" selected in DSM link.

turbofonz

Check the 4 trans-block bolts. DO you hear any noise when pushing the clutch down?

Tre3zy

i disconnected the switches for the clutch and still didnt do anything

and no noise coming from it...

a friend is coming over on saturday night with a crank dial indicator to see if the trust bearing is wearing premature

EMX5636

Sorry the switch didn't fix it for you. I am trying to think of anything besides crankwalk. I'll wait for the update with the dial-indicator.

Tre3zy

thnx... yea im praying that it isnt crankwalk... i mean ive only put 20 miles on the new motor... not really looking forward on pulling it out again LOL

turbofonz

Did you check the trans bolts like I said?

Tre3zy

yes i did... not noise coming from it and all the trans bolt is properly tighten down...

turbofonz

Alright. I've seen a few cars where the lower 2 are backed out/ missing and when you push the clutch it would make the trans seperate from the block... and make it drop RPM's.

Tre3zy

Cool thnx for that info

Tre3zy

so update on the car... just did the test with a dial indicator and it came out to 0.0060... what do you guys think??? its within spec but i will definately keep a close eye on this one... the motor only has 20 miles... it could be a different reading after 1000 miles... but i hope that it wouldnt...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned