The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pushing clutch in results in bad vacuum drop

DailyDSM

So you used the stock bolts but did you use the plate? The bolts didn't bottom out on my setup and wouldn't have been the cause of the rubbing. It isn't the extra length of the bolts that is causing clearance issues. The only real explanation is the extra thickness created by the back plate caused the bolts to protrude enough to rub on the clutch plate. My main reason for using the back plate was to prevent the bolts from digging into the softer aluminum of the flywheel which had been happening on the previous engine.

CarRacer

Yes, I did use the plate.

I haven't inspected the bolts after the install though, as I haven't had a reason to pull the trans. I do have one now(broken shift fork), but I'm unsure when it'll get pulled.

Could the crankwalk allow the pressure plate to move too far?

DailyDSM

Well the crank moving may have caused the pressure plate to reach a point where it was contacting the bolts. I will have to look at the wear on the pressure plate and see where contact was being made. I really would like to use the plate but I don't know if it is worth it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned