The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing AWS rack from rear subframe

Romanova

Jesus, WTF am I doing wrong? The bolt just spins and spins. I put a wrench on the other side and it won't budge... not even with the impact wrench. Tips?
img.php

In that photo, the piece on the right?

That may have two nuts, one on the top and one on the bottom so you need to find a slim wrench to hold one while you unscrew the other nut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If it won't budge then soak it with pb blaster or wd40 for a while.

Romanova

I was using a slim wrench to hold the top side while working the bottom with the impact. Soaking it more with PB to see if that will work.

Muskrat

Get a friend to hold the wrench and use a big breaker bar to crack it loose.

Romanova

The problem is the wrench keeps slipping off when I put pressure on the other side with the breaker bar. About to use the SawZall to cut the rack off and leave the ends on the subframe... ugh.

Jostar

I knocked mine real quick, cut the sonnavabich if it won"t budge...

Olson

Heat it up with map gas then take it off

Quoting Romanova:
The problem is the wrench keeps slipping off when I put pressure on the other side with the breaker bar. About to use the SawZall to cut the rack off and leave the ends on the subframe... ugh.

Maybe you can put the wrench on the nut and then spin the bottom nut until the wrench on the top nut catches something and stops. Or maybe zip tie the wrench to the arm to keep it in place while you wrench on the bottom nut.

GVR-4

Isn't one of the tire rod ends a left-handed thread?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned