The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question on MAF

LordAthey

So as I'm doing my build I'm considering leaving the stock MAF. Its going to be 2g pistons 1g rods, 272 cams, 16g big turbo and 3in intake. I'm wondering what my options are and what would be the best thing to go with?

Thanks

LordAthey

mikus

You're going to need bigger injectors, and that means you're going to need a piggyback to control for bigger injectors (chip, SAFC, link)

Those devices control air too
Better MAFs are dirt cheap & stock MAF sucks

Get a better MAF and plan for A/F management in your mod map, or lose to somebody with a stock block and turbo that's dialed in/optimized. Salsa's no good without chips.

PS don't run 560s and a 2G MAF to offset, it's halfassery.

Dark_Horse

I'd either go with the EVO8 MAF, or ditch the MAF and run speed density. No reason to go the 2G or 3" GMAF route anymore IMO.

Last edited:

JSchleim18

Quoting LordAthey:
as for a dd would speed density or evo 8 MAF be preferred.

For a DD...or any driving style for that matter, speed density will be superior. If you develop a boost leak while driving, the SD will compensate for it. If you had an MAF, it would make the car run like crap until the boost leak is fixed.

mikus

Have LINK and a GM MAF he says....

Yea GM MAF, SD, or EVO #399 or 3G #428 MAF - all are fine & commonly used.

rdomeck

You will spend more time to dial in a SD set up. If you have V3 it would be less time to run a 3" GM MAF to get your set up close. Then you can switch to SD. You can certainly go to SD first, and a lot of guys do and have no problems, but if you new to the tuning world as I am you will have a much easier time with a MAF.

beaner

If you're seriously asking I'd stick with a MAF for now. Big 16g is fine on a stock 1g/gvr4 MAF. I'd probably get a 2g MAF with all the honeycombs on the cheap, only in the interest of learning what's going on and how to make it work. Once you really figure that out, then you won't even have to ask about switching to SD. I'm still using a Evo MAF and learning every time I drive the car. It's inevitable I'll be SD. I just can't imagine confidently dialing the car in on SD without knowing how to dial in a MAF perfectly. *shrug*

nsin

What else is required for the 3g maf, with adapter? I heard somewhere, a maf translator? With Stock ecu btw. Oris Additional engine management needed, for it to work properly?

Last edited:

mikus

Your ECU can only talk correctly to 450cc injectors and a 1G maf. Anytime you change either one to anything else, you need some means to translate the new output to the ECU so it can give accurate instruction to the new part.

It can be a chip, SAFC, LINK, or other piggyback system.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned