The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ecu chip/MAF question

James

I attempted messaging Big_d who made my chip a long time ago but he hasn't been on so I'll ask the question here.

I sold my galant a while ago but still talk to the new owner daily. I had a 2g mad wired in and BIGD made the time for a 2g MAF and 550's along with other things.

The new owner wants to ditch the 2g MAF for a GM MAF for the sake of cleaning up the bay. He's wondering if he leave it zeroed out will that be fine? Or what does he need to do? Get the chip changed? Ect ect

James

Don't have the stock chip. And the original reason for the chip was to circumvent a really bad case of phantom knock between 1k-2.5k RPMS. (20counts at idle). So he would atleast need to get a new chip made that atleast takes care of the phantom knock I guess.

GSTwithPSI

The GM MAF and MAFT are garbage. Like mentioned, tell him if he wants to clean up the bay, go SD. Otherwise, he'd be better off sticking with the 2G MAF, which is a great setup IMO (especially since he's only running 550s).

If he still wants to go forward, he should get a new chip burned to convert it correctly.

CutlassJim

Plus a maft converts the GM voltage signal to a Hz like a factory MAF so you wouldn't have to do anything to the ECU. But I agree that the GM MAF is trash unless you have access to the MAF curve and a wideband to tune it with. That's not counting the sh*t 3 or 4 pots they give you in the translator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned