The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power Potential Questions

So I've been going back and fourth on all the mods I have planed and was curious. What is the power potential for a setup with a 20G turbo, fmic, 272 cams, electric boost controller, AFPR, 660cc injectors. As for the items I have ordered/plan to order are Tial Q bov, COP ingintion click, DIS-2 Ignition Control click, ECM Link ver.3, full 3in. exhaust/downpipe, tubular headers click, click, methanol injection kit click, click, tuning, and later down the road a complete tear-down and rebuild of the motor with forged parts. What parts do you guys run to pull good numbers safe and reliably? Any advice on supporting mods for the above mentioned? I hope to run somewhere close to 380 or 400awhp.

Last edited by a moderator:

2of9

I think with those mods...you should be in the 350 awhp range. Safe and Reliable really depends on how heavy your foot is and how well build your engine is.

For me, I've got a e316g, 550s, 2g manifold, 2g mas, DSMLink, stock cams, 190 pump, and some other things I'm forgetting. But I'm guessing after a tune, I should be in the 250awhp(mustang dyno) range which is more then enough for me for right now.

DR1665

My answer, Reaper, is enough to get you in trouble.

What are you looking to do with the car? How will it be used most often?

Seems to me a stock 4G63, with intake/FMIC/exhaust, an Evo III 16G, fueled and tuned correctly, would be get you pretty damn close, without the need for a convoluted build list like the one you proposed above. It might also give you a more entertaining powerband on the street.

Begin with the end in mind. Why do you want the power you want? More importantly where do you want that power?

I just wanna bring the max potential out of the car, nothing too crazy like +600whp. What's wrong with a car that has some power? lol All I'm looking for is a beastly sleeper, 350-390awhp is as far as I will go with this Galant. I forgot to mention that there is a 255 wally pump as well.

AnotherNewb

BenchRacing-1.png

Quoting R34P3R62:
I just wanna bring the max potential out of the car, nothing too crazy like +600whp.

What? That doesn't make sense.

DR1665

Quoting R34P3R62:
I just wanna bring the max potential out of the car,

You wanna talk maximum potential of the car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Dads-Pictures-102-e1269237937407.jpg

Google around for the Smith Auto land speed car. It makes something like 1400awhp and goes 200mph+. When they start the car, the ground shakes with such intensity, it literally affects your heart rate. There's a couple hundred pounds of lead in the trunk to keep the ass from coming out at 220mph.

That's maximum potential of the car.

Quoting R34P3R62:
nothing too crazy like +600whp

600whp @ 8000rpm in a daily driver that goes back and forth to college or a part time job at Sbarro, The Italian Eatery, would be a bit ridiculous.

600whp @ 8000rpm in a dedicated drag toy that sees action 2-3 times a month when the weather's permitting, or maybe makes its way out to El Mirage or Bonneville or some other land speed event every year isn't crazy it all.

Quoting R34P3R62:
What's wrong with a car that has some power?

Nothing. Nothing at all. Fortunately, the cars left the factory with "some power." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Quoting R34P3R62:
All I'm looking for is a beastly sleeper, 350-390awhp is as far as I will go with this Galant.

All I'm trying to do is show you how "350-390awhp" is a bullshit goal. It's incomplete. I want you to go a step further before you start your project. I want you to get the most out of your car, your time, your money. I want you to get hooked on these cars, to have so much f***ing fun with your car, you treat it like your own flesh and blood.

400whp. There's so much more to it than that. Let me put this another way, how do you want that power to come on? Did you know the GT28RS "Disco Potato" is also known as "The turbo that feels like a supercharger," and is rated to something like 350hp? Think about that for a minute.

Chew on it a bit. Think about why you want 350-390awhp. Trust me on this one; you want to ask the right questions before you start dropping cash on all kinds of sh*t. Why spend more money (or more time) than you have to, and potentially risk 350-390awhp not being as much fun as you thought? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

By "max potential" I want to know is what I can achieve with the current mods along with a proper tune and any necessary supporting mods. The near 400awhp goal I have is just for me and to kinda keep things reliable. I DO NOT plan to go anymore than that. I will have one tune for street/daily driving use and a more aggressive tune for when the time calls. I really love these cars and I plan to hold on to 1886 for a long while. I just need to know what kind of a setup makes for good power and still be somewhat reliable. My next plans are 3in exhaust, ECM Link, ignition amp, and a tune. Maybe larger injectors if I need them and a meth kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned