The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with meth/water injection

vr4hotness

Thank you guys so much.

I plan on running that cooling mist trunk mount system and get the tune.that same one turbo tom had done to his vr4

EMX5636

As much as I love trunk mounted items, I like having all the meth stuff under the hood. If you have ditched ABS, there is plenty of room up behind the drivers headlight for a tank and pump down below. I can take some pics of my setup if you want. I ran the pump and reservoir under the back seat of my Eclipse, cut the foam underneath to fit it, and then you could still sit back there in the outer seats. Just had a filler cap sticking up in the middle seat.

strokin4dr

Quoting prove_it:
There is 15yrs of research, not to mention my own huge array of personal experience. 5yrs with my stock fuel lines and have yet to "eat" them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Remember all the anti-ethanol theories and propaganda come out of the mouths of big oil. Obviously they don't want to lose some of their market. A bit bias if you ask me.

It's much easier to work with than meth.......

I love running E85. That said, I've only been using it in my VR4 since December and this past weekend upgraded my fuel filter to an E85 friendly setup. Decided to pull the fuel rail and inspect everything while things were apart. I was shocked to see that the inside of my rail has a "flakey and pealing" look to it. I inspected the rail prior to installing the larger injectors and flex fuel sensor back in December.
Needless to say I have an anodized rail going back in. The fuel filter I chose is the Fuelab fiberglass 6 micron filter.

I have read horror stories about E85 and not given them much validity myself, hence running ethanol with near factory fuel system. I now can see firsthand what E85 can do to bare aluminum. I'm glad I caught it when I did before anything ended up in my new injectors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

donniekak

Quoting Coltsfan:
I'm not a fan either. Sure it has it's good point, (cheap race fuel) but I'm not buying into all the other "benefits". I refuse to drink the cool aid.

My car makes around 150 more horsepower on e85 than 91. Coolaid tastes great!

EMX5636

That's definitely true donnie. I'm sure I could crack 600whp with it, but in the area I live, it's not readily available enough for a street car. Fun strip car, absolutely.

here you go hotness,

MethSetup.jpg

Last edited:

vr4hotness

Wow that set up is small and legit

That cooling mist one is only $350 bucks and I read some good reviews on that set up.

How much you think I could make on the meth set up compared vs e85?

donniekak

I've seen people make close to the same power as e85 with a good meth setup. The problem is that it's dangerous. Even without a clogged injector, bad pump, or other malfunction. None of the manifolds used on our cars were designed as a wet manifold. They have a hard enough time evenly distributing air, let alone a fuel air mix. I ran a car on meth injection before. With a rock solid 11.5 afr average from all six cylinders you wouldn't belive the spread of rich to lean the plugs were showing.

MellowVR4

By the time its injected into the manifold with the heat it'll just turn into a vapor pretty much.

prove_it

Not to mention the benefits of E85 in RPMs that your not able to spray. IE cruising, part throttle, spool up, all these things.

How do you think I pushed a S16G at 22psi at redline to 320whp? On pump 93 best (and safely) was like 285whp. Once you start adding 6-9 degrees advance and leaning the mixture out, it's amazing how much power is found. Typical E85 peak timing is around 22 degrees. Some guys have pushed 24 degrees with 30psi.

And then there is the smell of burnt ethanol, oh is it heaven.

prove_it

With aggressive timing, 24psi+ boost, 3in exhaust and good cams, 380 should be close.

Post updates! I'm a MHI lover.

donniekak

Quoting MellowVR4:
By the time its injected into the manifold with the heat it'll just turn into a vapor pretty much.

Exactly. The methanol vapor has a different density than air. Air with a large portion of liquid vapor in suspension will have different concentrations of the vapor at different points of the radius of the a turn because of different particle weights and centrifugal force. High volumes of liquid in suspension also change the flow characteristics of the gas, changing the dispersion pattern that was studied by the Oem for the air only manifold.

Meth works when used properly, like a direct port setup, and helps when fired into the charge piping. However it's very dangerous to push the limits of the setup when just dumping meth into the charge pipe. Search on the net, there are loads of people with melted and cracked Pistons trying to really push a setup with meth Injection.

prove_it

Wait wait wait, hold up, WHAT?

Why the hell are you installing METH with a B16G at 18psi?!!!????

That's asking for trouble. Your going to risk a bunch over maybe just maybe a 20hp gain?

prove_it

18PSI on a EVO3 is very easy to run. Very reliable and safe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned