The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Pan question? and another question.

Lancer99

So Im not going with a crazy build on mine. Its not going to have more than 400-450hp maybe less. Mainly use is going to be track at times/weekend/summer nights drive/maybe show. Anyways what kind of oil pan should I get? I was thinking stock but I dont know of any that flows better.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

I'm confused, oil pans don't flow better than others, they hold more for a higher reserve and cooling.

Just get a stock replacement if yours is damaged. They are about $60 from Autozone.

Lancer99

Ok I thought there was some that are made to flow better to where the oil picker is. O ok well thats the next thing I got to do to the vr4

Barnes

They aren't made to flow better, but certain aftermarket pans have larger sumps where the pickup tube sits. This helps prevent oil starvation during very hard cornering. They also allow you to hold more oil which is nice as it acts as nice heat buffer. However, our stock oil pans are perfectly adequate for 99.9% of GVR-4 owners.

Lancer99

^ Ok thats what I was more thinking of. I wasn't to sure how to put it. Anyways I would be taking it to the track like road racing so does anyone have a good one that they would recommend?

Barnes

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think even the One Lap car runs a non-stock oil pan. If they don't need one, you don't need one. Unless you just happen to have a pile of money you need to get rid of.

Lancer99

I just wanted to see what kind of oil pan is good out there. But I guess its settle then, Ill be rocking a stocker.

alansupra94

Only thing I think would be better would be a dry sump setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

alansupra94

Thats seriously way overpriced IMO.

If my dad still worked at Kearfott Guidance....god I would be set for life. They have 5 axis CNC machines....15 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Plus they have all the military grade stuff I could dream about. From tons of high-grade billet aluminum, circle disconnect electronic connectors, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I could seriously make a basic model in Pro-E, transfer it over to model generator, check all the clearances and values and then fire away!

vr4play

I run a moroso oil pan. I was having serious oil starvation problems at the auto-x. Haven't had any problems since I installed it. I did have to modify it when I installed main studs. The head of the nut would hit the edge. I also would recommend leak checking before installing. Mine leaked out of the box. I also had to indent the crossmember to make enough clearance for the sump to fit without hitting.

Lancer99

Im going off topic now and I got another question. If I rebuild a 14b for stock use, do I still have to send it out for it getting rebalanced? Nothings really wrong with it just a couple oil leaks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned