The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

surprise in oil pan

MellowVR4

So I took my oil pan off to replace the leaky oil pan gasket with some ultra grey. Once I took it off, I found two oil squirter tips inside. Number 4 and 2 cylinders are the ones that broke off. I dont have a oil pressure gauge so im not sure when exactly this occured, but i never heard anything or noticed anything wrong. Not sure What would cause this, Maybe some knock? not sure at the moment. Can anybody put down their thoughts on this issue? Has this happend to any of you guys? Please let me know. Here are some pics of the pieces.

Thanks in advanced.

Wizardawd

Most often this occurs after they were removed and reinstalled for some reason, like a rebuild. The clearances are quite tight between the squirter and piston skirt. I noticed after my first rebuild ever that I had broken a squirter. When I went to reinstall another, I noticed that when I rotated the crank, the piston would just lightly scrape the squirter. And i'm sure this gets slightly closer as things warm up and the metal expands. But loosening the squirter, I noticed I could move the squirter tip clear a little more. And I never had the issue again.

You won't see any oil pressure change when the tip breaks since the oil restriction has not changed, just where the oil is going.

Wiz

EMX5636

Some aftermarket pistons reduce the clearance even more and you don't really need them for forged pistons. If you want them, check for clearance when you install them, and throw a new set (don't forget new crush washers) in.

Wizardawd

I'm with the remove if you run aftermarket pistons. There effectiveness was negligable on stock pistons, even less on aftermarket forged since they are of better materials.

Wiz

TomN

If you remove them make sure you port your oil relief valve as oil pressure will go up.

EMX5636

Or you can use a N/T pressure relief spring as they didn't have the squirters from factory. But porting is a good idea, especially if you have already/plan to remove your balance shafts.

MellowVR4

Thanks everybody for your input, I did reuse the old squirters when i rebuild my engine so that makes total sense. Ill probably replace them all with new ones since im running oem 2g pistons.

Gotta get this baby ready for SHOOT OUT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Thanks again to you all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned