The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another rear Diff question?

Lancer99

Okay I've changed plans with my GVR-4 and I want to keep the rear steering. So my question is can I use my 3 bolt rear end to fit the pump and have a LSD in it? I have 4 bolt LSD in my hands but I thought maybe a 3 bolt LSD would alot easier to stuff in it. I'm not looking to make alot of horse power I'm thinking no more than 300-350h.p. Has anyone done this before if so could you coach me threw it or show me how? I never really took a diff apart.

gtluke

take the diff out of the 4 bolt rear end, swap the 3 bolt's ring onto it. Put that new setup back in the 3 bolt pumpkin. intall the 4 bolt axles that will now fit because the rear has a 4 bolt diff. done, and you get to keep your 4ws

Lancer99

Thanks gtluke. I inderstand that now completely but I still know very little of the rear diff. Do you or anyone else have pics or diagrams of taking out a diff and putting it back in? Do you think the ring should be in good shape or should I replace it with a new ring?

gtluke

ring and pinions are matched, don't ever swap one without the other. Generally the case is also matched to the spacers that hold the bearings in the housing. keep the spacers with the housing and don't screw up what side of the housing they came out of, very important.
I've never heard of anyone wearing one out on our cars, so yours are fine I'm sure.
take the cover off, with the axles removed all you have to do is take out the 4 bolts on the inside and the whole thing pops out. They are usually stuck as hell though, a breaker bar usually works to pry it out. Take your old ring off, put it on the diff from inside the 4 bolt housing (use loctite) and put it back in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned