The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

number3 on the move...

I've priced out an aem ems and so far heres a rough estimate of what I'm looking at spending:

EMS-1600.
5 bar map sensor-139.
air temp sensor-64.
egt sensor-200.
boost control sensor-45.00 (one site says 112.)
WB-69.
UEGO gauge-299.
bung-25.

total - 2130 not including shipping or tuning.

I need to sort some other things out first so it will be a while before the car sees an aem ems set up.

Thanks for the input guys.

HHIVR4

I wouldnt have a problem mailing you a logger set up to use as long as I get it back in a reasonable amount of time.

PM me if you want to borrow it.

boostedinaz

Mike, I still have the logger setup you gave me when I bought 1101. You can have it back if you want.

VR4coop

I had my car appraised like 3 years ago at 19k, no where near the state it is now. FYI

Thanks
Clint Cooper

JNR

Where do you guys get the appraiser, from the phonebook? Do you have to provide receipts, or can you give similar "catalog cuts" for costing?

MMCVR4

Quote:

This below is important for all GVR4 owners to read.

Since I failed emissions my ins co informed me that I could open a collector car policy which wouldn't require me to pass emissions but that I'd need to have the car appraised first.

This applies to California too?

VR4coop

Mine was a local guy that I was referred to from a friend. He knew his stuff about cars, I just told him what I had done. He took pictures and what not, then came back to me with his appraised value a few days later.

Thanks
Clint Cooper

boostedinaz

^^^
Most likely, but this car won't see a ton of miles.

You can also set the amount of miles you plan on driving the car and it will adjust your premium accordingly. I had a friend with an old Nova that did this and he had super low premiums because he set his milage at like 2K a year.

Rausch

I don't know how it works by you guys, but you don't need any special insurance to file for a collector plate for a vehicle. The Plate is what allowes you to skip emissions testing. You just have to prove that it is a worthy candidate.

I do see the advantages to that insurance option, especially for those with a healthy amount of work/$$ in the car.

HHIVR4

I should investigate it..My insurance is $780 a year but probably will only allow a 3k-4k pay out.If I can get a similiar rate and higher coverage it will bdefinately be worth it..I can count atleast 3k in mods off the top of my head not including the purchase price of the car.

boostedinaz

Keep in mind most companies will want some proof of value for aftermarket parts.

In regards to mileage limit, my agent said there is none. I made sure to ask her 3 times, are you sure there is no limit on mileage I can put on the car in a specific amount of time? Theres no penalty? She said no every time.

Whats strange about that is every joe shmoe could contact their ins agent and open this type of policy to avoid emissions. There has to be a catch, I just don't know what it is yet. Maybe just a higher ins premium.

I recommend you guys call your ins agent and ask them these questions as it varies from state to state and ins co.

The person I used to appraise the car works with/for Barrett Jackson. Again, I think he was unsure of what he was looking at as he kept calling the car a hybrid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Do a google search to find an appraiser or check the yellow pages, ask some of your car buddies etc.

Gather up all the reciepts you have for performance parts and maintenance, clean the car up real nice etc and make sure you let the appraiser know there is only ONE number xxxx/1000/2000 in the world...or is it the US? Link them to Ryan's page so they can read up and get an idea of these cars. You can also inform your appraiser that Mitsu made these cars in order to comply with regulations regarding the WRC and had they not been so heavily into WRC at the time these cars probably wouldn't exist.

Michael, I'd love to borrow the logger, bring it to the INO meet next Thursday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HHIVR4, thanks for the offer on lending me your logger but Micahel came through and is right down the street. I do appreciate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

boostedinaz

Quote:
he kept calling the car a hybrid.

Dude you have a sick ass Prius.

Quote:
Michael, I'd love to borrow the logger, bring it to the INO meet next Thursday.

I will dig it out and bring it.

Rausch

Quote:
Whats strange about that is every joe shmoe could contact their ins agent and open this type of policy to avoid emissions. There has to be a catch, I just don't know what it is yet. Maybe just a higher ins premium.

The tag here is that insurance has nothing to with emissions, so far as I know. As I stated earlier, You can get collector plates for a worthy vehicle to circumnavigate emissions testing. I am not aware that you are required to have the requisite Collector Car insurance to accomplish this, it's not like that here. The insurance company has no say in whether or not a vehicle requires testing. That is up to the state/county/city.....

Quote:
make sure you let the appraiser know there is only ONE number xxxx/1000/2000 in the world...or is it the US?

Its only in the US, the rest of the world has them all over.

Brianawd

Quote:
This applies to California too?

Well seeing that the EPA told California that CARB not legal. You and all people from California will soon be going off EPA rules. That is if the EPA wins in court, and they will. So if they do say good by to CARB

Quote:
Quote:
make sure you let the appraiser know there is only ONE number xxxx/1000/2000 in the world...or is it the US?

Its only in the US, the rest of the world has them all over.

Yes, but they don't know that, and in any case it's irrelevant as insurance cos. typically don't include out of country cars and all the accompanying importing costs when determining a vehicles value. As far as the insurance co. is concerned there were only 3000, and besides, even if there were 10 million GVR4s, mine is still the only 305/1000, so the original statement still applies.

Brian, the EPA didn't say that CARB was illegal, not even close. CARB will not go away tomorrow nor is it likely to any time soon. The ruling basically said that EPA standards, being federal, supercede state laws. So if the EPA says 15 ppm CO2 in the exhaust is the limit and CARB says 10 ppm (numbers made up), you're only liable for 15 ppm. That being said, that won't keep CARB off your ass if you live in California, but if you take your case to court you have a legal out. Granted you'll probably have to appeal as the state courts follow state laws, but you'd likely ultimately prevail. The legal arguments are tenuous at best and this will continue to be fought out as a number of states are interested in following CARB's lead. The situation is in some respects similar to how some states have medical marijuana laws and yet the DEA still views such practices as illegal and continues to conduct raids and arrests for what state residents (as well as lawyers and legislators) consider to be a legal activity.

Anyway, thanks for the excellent info Mike; I'll definitely have to check out obtaining a collector car status.

number3

The application was sent in for collector plates here in PA but I had to give up my vanity plate 3OF1000 to accept it so I didn't.

Number3 was already considered emission exempt under the limited use rule. (driven less than 5000 miles a year) I averaged 400 miles a year after 2000. If I could have had an insurance company like Hagerty given me replacement value insurance, I would have plated the car as a collector’s car. But I could not find one company that was interested. They don't consider a JDM car a classic/collector import. (but 76 vette is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif ) That will change some day I am sure.

I am very happy that number3 was valued in the mid to high 20 thousand dollar range. I would have felt "a little" badly selling the car for 20 only to have it appraised at 5 thousand dollars.

Mike has a file three inches thick of documentation on the car and the parts in it not to mention I included most of the factory packaging the parts came in (that would physically fit in the car) and hundreds of pictures on line of the build up and history of the car.

Wait until you hear that exhaust without the cat Mike, it is pure sex in my opinion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned