The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The new turbo makes my crotch move!

HHIVR4

Your O2 dump might no be letting the flapper open all the way.Im assuming you got the larger flapper for the wg.Can you hear it ting when it opens fully?If so that means its hitting the flange for the dump pipe.I had that problem and it wasnt allowing the wastegate to open fully..I ported out the flange area and blended it smooth for the O2 dump and now its properly working.

324vr4

unfortunately I only have the standard WG flapper...unless I was just given it...I only paid for the basic e316g FP package, but no, there's absolutely no "ping" upon WG opening...that I can hear of anyways....I may just need to swap back tot eh e3 O2 housing...or get a "better" MBC...I'll know after a couple tests...thanks for the advice, I'll look into that a little more to confirm my speculations

Rausch

The upgraded flapper for the E III was to counter creep issues some where having. I'd look to see if the WG is opening early, or not sealing properly. maybe an issue with how the dump meets the turbine housing, as noted above.?

Terry Posten

Just unplug the vac/boost line to the WG actuator. Take it for a quick ride watching closely and listening for the open dump.

You should never hear the WG open. If it does, then you have an issue with the gate not staying closed.

Don't worry about over boosting. You don't need to go nuts with this test. Just baby the car into 3rd and roll into the throttle. Don't go to high revs, just let the psi hit about 20 and back off.

You should hear an open dump if the WG is cracking open.

If you do do not hear the WG open, then the problem is with the MBC.

324vr4

Great advice! Thank you Terry! I will try this this evening and make a better assessment with your outlined testing method....

324vr4

Re-orientated the MBC lines on the TurboXS MBC and the only thing that changed was it sat at 10psi from 3k to about 5k where it crept to just over 20psi...cranked the MBC up all the way and still nothing changed...went back to the original orientation of the MBC lines and went to a buddy's house (belize1334) and he let me use his Home Depot MBC and WHOA!!!! it works great with the exception of adjusting is VERY sensitive. BUT no more premature WG opening and it gave a WHOLE new life to the car...sound, performance, and overall feeling of the turbo response has improved drastically...I intend on using a softer spring to make adjusting the boost level more user friendly...So far this is the 3rd MBC I've used and all have been SH!T but the DIY one is holding tough and one cannot go wrong for $15 worth of parts. Thanks Roger and I look forward to getting the rest of the anomalies taken care of before the year's end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belize1334

$15? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif What kinda high-roller do you think I am? $10 at the MOST.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned