The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

number3 on the move...

Quote:
We have almost the same setup and I'm trapping almost 10mph more than him at the same boost. I believe he also said that when money permits he will be getting dsmlink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

So what you have not said kind of says a lot. So what don't you like your set up?

turbowop

Quote:
Quote:
Wop seems to like his, it seems pretty good when used with a chip...

We have almost the same setup and I'm trapping almost 10mph more than him at the same boost. I believe he also said that when money permits he will be getting dsmlink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I also haven't been racing my car for the past two years or tuning hardly at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm sure if I put some effort into the car and a transmission that actually shifts it would run similar trap speeds, considering the similarities in our setups. The only thing I can think of that would be different is your higher compression and your use of E85 to my 92octane/meth setup. Also I'm not using a chip setup with timing adjustment. I played with it before, but stopped to see what it would do with the stock timing maps. I may play with it again down the road.

I don't even know if I'll race the car this summer. It needs a tranny and I'd rather put money into the new house.

Brianawd

Quote:
I also haven't been racing my car for the past two years or tuning hardly at all. I'm sure if I put some effort into the car and a transmission that actually shifts it would run similar trap speeds, considering the similarities in our setups. The only thing I can think of that would be different is your higher compression and your use of E85 to my 92octane/meth setup

Going from 7.8:1 to to 8.5:1 is not going to make that big of a difference. There is somthing else going on with your car. I believe it to me the maft-pro. But I could be wrong. I'm not trying to offend you by any way Mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbowop

No offense, I'm just stating the differences. Your fresher higher compression motor at the same boost should definitely make more power. My motor has a 130k miles on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Lucas went pretty damn quick with his gvr4 on just a 16g using the Maftpro, so I really don't think that it's the problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about the GM MAF's is that they are kind of obnoxious in that they sit right there in the middle of the IC pipe. I really like the clean look of not having anything interfere with intake or IC piping.

So why not just put it where you can't see it, like on a lower pipe by an endtank? You'll have to lengthen some wires probably, but you'd still get the clean look.

Brianawd

Quote:
So why not just put it where you can't see it, like on a lower pipe by an endtank? You'll have to lengthen some wires probably, but you'd still get the clean look.

Because then you would have to put your BOV on the other side of the intercooler(witch is way to far away) or vent in back into the intake pipe,(If its after the maf) because the air has then already been metered

number3

Quote:
Quote:
The only thing I don't like about the GM MAF's is that they are kind of obnoxious in that they sit right there in the middle of the IC pipe. I really like the clean look of not having anything interfere with intake or IC piping.

No room in this car for that...

number3

Quote:
Mike,
Just drive the car & enjoy it for what it is.

Put some c16 in it & re-tune on the dyno. Save your setting (write them down, whatever). When you refill the car with AZ premium '91, readjust your setting back to where they were.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

nrvous

I don't tune in for months at a time, so I guess it serves me right to miss the news. I am glad to see the car out there on the streets and wanted to thank you for doing the project in the first place. It has given us all a mark to strive for.

Stephen

Nate

>>P.S forget about the AFC and vpc. sh*t is old and outdated.

I had to comment on this - just because something is old, and doesn't offer as much adjustment as something newer, doesn't mean it won't work.

DSMLink is a great product, but still requires some sort of MAF, which will be very hard to implement on #3, due to the size of the piping.

If he wants to go AEM, then there's already the correct GM air temp sensor in the intake manifold.

number3

Nate is correct of course. Great minds think alike.

Note: The pictures I posted above for that very point.

boostedinaz

If it were between MS and AEM I would go with AEM. IMO it has a much better user support and more people in our area are good with EMS.

Last edited:

Mike,
I think we are a group of people that like to tinker with these cars & to personalize them. They truely are an extension of ourselves.

Harry's dyno chart shows the car made ~480 whp with the current setup. I'll say this again & this is just my opinion. All you need to do is retune the car on race gas & I think you'd be very happy with it.

Yeah I just poked around and if I'm going to go through the trouble megasquirt ems is out.

Nevermind.

Redlinegvr4

just get an aem... you spent quite a bit on that car whats another 1300 for a bad ass system that lets you do what ever you want.

G

Staff member
Go speed density w/ an ems, you can buy a used one for a decent price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1300? Its way more than that after install and tuning. Its not just the unit, its all the little stuff that pops up along the way.

I've decided that right now I'm just going to get an safc II, ditch the cat and head back to the dyno with some vp fuel in search of 500 hp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only reason I am so stressed is because the car won't idle for sh*t when its cold. It sounds terrible and I have to wonder, this can't be good for the engine. Once its warm its fine but getting there is nerve racking.

Also, I think the keydiver chip that Harry got has the factory boost gauge set as a knock warning. It comes on a lot but the guy at dyno-comp said that he saw no knock so I'm concerned about why its flashing so much.

I need to get another logger, I gave away my last one with my talon when I sold it.

The car has sat for the last 2 weeks since I have been so busy and since its been such a fiasco registering and insuring it so I still haven't driven it yet other than to the dmv.

This below is important for all GVR4 owners to read.

Since I failed emissions my ins co informed me that I could open a collector car policy which wouldn't require me to pass emissions but that I'd need to have the car appraised first. I had the car appraised yesterday and to my surprise it came back much higher than I anticipated, actually higher than what I paid for the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But now I don't have to worry about emissions and the car is insured for XXXXX amount of money.

I suggest all galant vr4 owners get their car appraised and insured for a specific dollar amount. This way if you get in an accident with the car and its totaled the ins co doesn't say, sorry, we're only giving you 4000 bucks cause thats what kbb states. Gather up all your receipts for mods and stress to the ins agent that your car is badged as the only number xxxx/1000 or 2000 in the world. I also sent the appraiser a link to Ryan's GVR4 page that has basic info on the car.

Keep in mind that the appraiser who looked over number 3 is used to seeing old chevy's and ford's all day so I imagine he's a bit out of his element with trying to figure out how to put a specific dollar amount on a rare japanese car.

As time goes on these cars are going to become harder and harder to find in good shape, more will get sent to the crusher, more will be forgotten in a backyard with 4 foot tall grass growing around them, more will be victims of accidents, etc etc.

It cost me 150 bucks to get number 3 appraised. Get it done so you are covered. Period.

BadVr4

aem doesnt cost anything to install, and anybody who paid to get it installed is crazy. its plug and play, plug in ecu, wire the map and ait sensor and your done.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned