The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NON vr4 galants in us?

89Mirageman

Same deal with 89-92 csm's, I break my neck staring when I see one on the road because they are so rare. Its amazing how many nice cars end up in the junkyard due to bad ecu's or broken timing belts. An easy fix for us but when a mechanic quotes them over 1k to fix an $800 car they junk them.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I had a 92 LS with an automatic that I bought from one of the guys up at FP for a daily driver. Turns out it was the owners personal car at one point, since his name was on the title. Ended up selling it to someone when a 97 Spyder popped up for sale recently. Unfortunately, 6th Gen Galants are getting hard to find in the junkyards as well. Well at least in this area.

QnzMostWanted

i own a 92 GS...has a 4g63 DOHC N/A with a F5M31 5spd Transmission

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

Last edited:

maroonmetallic

I don't think I have ever seena non-VR4 Galant in person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gramkrakr89

Qnz - I've only ever seen 1 GS... in Wheeling, WV... the only 6th gen non-vr4 I've ever seen

it was a deep sort of red (i think), and it had those wheels

Jesus_Negros

Hmm so this is only about the 89-93 NON-vr4 galants not just any NON-vr4 galant.

raptorWagon

Yes even though the title is pretty misleading, but even so since this forum caters only to the 6th gen Galant not the 7-9.

Leon_R

This shows just how young the latest generation of GVR4 enthusiasts has become /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

In the 90's you would see 15-20 regular Galants to every VR4. But as time has passed, regular Galants have been scrapped at a much higher rate than GVR4's! To a pont where new guys wonder if they ever existed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DDM

Yeah. I drove around in a 944 turbo in the 90s so ive been a car guy for a while. I saw hondas. I saw nissans but i dont remember seeing a galant which is why i started this thread.

123abc

In my town there's a dark red LS I see parked on the street every once in a while. However, in the same town, there's no less than 4 GVR4's.

supa_saloon

i own a 6g super saloon with a 4g37 carb engine.
and also, its not in conus.

here's how it used to look like

and the engine bay

raptorWagon

carbed? Didn't know the 4g37 came carbureted let alone in that setup on a galant. Cool! Should put a set of sidedraughts on it!

fuel

yep my '89 NZDM Galant GLX had the carb 4G37 engine too.. there was even the absolute base model GL which had the 1.6 4G32 carb engine, 13" wheels, no tacho, no central locking and even had a 4 speed gearbox.

supa_saloon

i was thinking what i can do with it, but since you said it maybe you guys can give me info regarding side draughts./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fuel

best thing would be to sell it and find a 4G63 DOHC powered one, or do a 4G63 DOHC conversion. The 4G37 engine just isn't made for extracting power out of easily. Its main feature is giving quite a bit of torque low down thanks to its under-square bore/stroke but the restrictive cam profile and heavy internals don't allow it to rev so freely.

Unsure where a side draft manifold would come from.. I know some companies make them for the chain driven 4G32, but that wont fit on a belt driven 4G32/37.

gramkrakr89

Quoting fuel:
... there was even the absolute base model GL which ... even had a 4 speed gearbox.

Is this where I see these galant shift knobs in pics with just the 4-speed pattern stamped in them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Could be, I was almost going to say a KM110, but thats for rwd lol.

ITBs might be a better setup on your car than sidedraughts considering there isn't much room back there for side draught carbs to breathe, unless you run dual down draughts instead.

raptorWagon

Yes, lol I've heard them referred either way, sidedraught or sidedraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned