The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new to the dsm world few questions

nwsalty

Hello, help many of my friends build there track/autocross cars and now its my turn to get off the sidelines. not looking to make the front cover of dsmtuner but money is not a problem if the part is worth it. was wondering if anyone on here is tracking there galants? if so then....are you running a cage and where did you have it fab'ed or did you find a weld in and how was fitment? what size wheels are you running? and problems with bid brakes? what exaughst manifold are you running (4g63/20G) looking to cut wheight so where is the best place to find cf/fg body parts? and lastly what suspension are you running? have many more question but we will start with these. thanks in advance

the last couple days
battery in trunk
turbo timer
dsmlink
20g turbo
ETS fmic w/3" titanium piping
brushed aluminum radiator

prove_it

Umm, you may want to start off in the Newbie section. Tech discussion is more for specific topics, not general build help. Also your saying DSM a lot, do you have a Talon, Eclipse, Laser or a Galant VR4?
Also here we have a very tight knit group that strives for proper grammar and easy to read posts. I say welcome to the ORG and I'd say comb through the members rides section to get some idea of the common build routes.

nwsalty

Roger that! Thanks for the help. Was under the impression that early galants were produced by mitsubishi/chrysler "dsm" (diamond star motors) is there a more proper name I should refer to? Thanks in advance.

prove_it

The Galant Vr4 was Mitsu built only, no Chrysler involvement. The DSM name comes from the joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsu in 1990. This only applied to the Eclipse, Laser, and Talon.

The Galant Vr4 was already in production, since 1988, when that all happened. There is a better build quality in the Galant, and many are offended when the VR4 is called a dsm. For auto-x the Galant poses several issues to overcome, mostly all handling. Good suspension, full bushing replacement, and maintenance are a good place to start. 20yr+ old bushings tend to be worn and create very sloppy feel. Also the 4WS system and ABS are usually deleted to increase performance and lose weight.
Both topics are covered in depth on the board. Using the search will bring you the most info.

Also, the DSM platform shares the same driveline, subframes (minor difference in the rear), and suspension (again slight differences) but most DSM parts will fit.

If your car still has 4 lug rims, then rim selection is limited and it's common to swap to the TEL hubs for 5x114 bolt pattern that is very common.

89Patches

Mr. Salty I encourage you to keep calling the GVR4 a DSM, Why you may ask? Because it's fun seeing Galant owners get their panties in a bunch. Seriously they really get worked up over it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I call my GVR4 a DSM all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hoser.

EMX5636

Welcome! These cars are a little hard to find "off the shelf" parts for in general. With limited production overall in the US, and the fact that the newest of them are still 22-23 years old, a lot of things have to be custom made.

You won't find any bolt or weld in cages new anymore, every once in a while a Cusco bolt in "show car" cage pops up on here for sale. Fiberglass and Carbon hoods are available if you look around, but trunks are getting harder to find, and you won't find anything else (fenders, roof, etc) for weight reduction. It takes a dedicated, quirky person to have and modify one of these, but that's why we all get along here.

G

Staff member
Since $ is no object order up a os giken twin plate asap. >> click

click

ts2bd.jpg

After you get that lmk, i'll help you spend more $. We'll move on to cusco diff's front to back.

Last edited:

89Patches

Why OS Giken and not Magnus triple? Or is it just because it's "JDM as f***" or is it because your "JDM as f***" G? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

G

Staff member
All of the above! ^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I was going to say go with the jun intake mani. C'mon, I like hypertune, innovate, uhm uhm redline?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Densoooooooooooooo!

I will admit I bought a great Koyo radiator from G many years ago.

nwsalty

G,I can see my financial situation has rubbed you the wrong way so let me clarify. if partA costs 200 and partB costs 600 but is three times the performance and quality then money is no issue.

G

Staff member
No has not rubbed me the wrong way at all. Just want to see someone put some $ in to a galant, I figured you were it. GSX? You're trolling right?

prove_it

He's not talking about fabricating already availible parts, so can't be

nwsalty

I am a commercial fisherman, So I know all about messing around but a little bit of fourplay goes a long way before you get right to it. why would i be trolling aand what is that anyway?

nwsalty

i found an oe style advan cf hood for 500.00 is that a good deal or has someone seen better? my hood is chipped and paint peeling and not to mention heavier than cf.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts