The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

newb question about transmission plate

luis84one

im searching but cant find the answer.. whats the purpose of the metal plate between the transmission and the block? a bolt snaped off and the bell housing broke on another which caused the tranny to turn and the metal plate split in half.. i had the bell housing fixed and removed the broken stud now that im putting it back together i just realized that the two metal plates were actually supposed to be just one metal plate. is it just a dust shield and if so can i just jbweld it back together and put it back in? i know jb weld is a cheap fix but i wanna have it done today since i gotta get back to work tomorrow and need to have the car running asap.. any input would be appreciated. thanks happy 4th everybody

mitsuturbo

That metal plate is ...well, metal. It can probably be welded back together. If not, you don't HAVE to use it, but you should. The transmission and clutch were designed to have that piece in there. If it's not there, your clutch geometry could be a bit off, and the most obvious problem i've seen from leaving that out, is often times it causes starter engagement issues.

You can use one off an AWD DSM as well. I wouldn't recommend running without it, even though i've done it myself in the past.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned