The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new owner, new engine

tsitalon1

Quoting ktmrider:
Fast forward to this AM. Got a text from the local DSM guru offering a good crank and main bearings for free! Verified it was real then deleted my FS ad.

Gotta love the DSM community sometimes!

Thanks for your help Mike! If you need anything I might have something lying around as well!

ktmrider

^^ Yep great group of peeps and community all around!

Thanks for the offer James, hope that alternator is working out for ya.

ktmrider

After a very busy stretch 464 is off JSB status! Fired her up around noon Tuesday, put about 10 miles on.

So far so good, no leaks/drips or odd noises. Taking it to work today, 20 miles or so RT.

Thanks so much to the site and DSM/MMC community. Not sure how the outcome would have played out otherwise... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

ktmrider

Pics from the engine swap:

Me after a long weekend with the "new" motor:

Ready for trans ( as you may see in the background my screen name is valid ):

Motor in the vehicle on two mounts:

One of my invaluable assistants:

So far I've got 60 miles on the replacement motor. All is well, still no strange noises/leaks/smells. Still got fingers optimistically crossed!

ktmrider

300 miles, still singing sweet music and no fluid drips.

Filled her up today, got 20mpg last tank running with low boost and retarded timing. Upped the boost to 12psi and put timing back to +5 degrees/base.

ktmrider

Got a new logger system, first task was to set base timing.

Had it slightly retarded for break-in, timing was actually at 0/TDC. Set to 5 BTDC, runs smooth as silk.

Afterward took a 100 mile RT outside town, ran like a top. Think it's time to bump boost up to 15psi!

ktmrider

Well she's on her way to a new new owner. Paddy1337 is converting 464 to a Rally vehicle, will also be a "shop car" for Spec Ops Motorsports, link here: click

Looking forward to seeing what 464 becomes, sadness and sellers remorse for sure but excitement in the proposed transformation.

snailspool

Just re-read this whole thread. What a journey! I have hopes you will return to the crazy, rare, special MMC/DSM world one day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned