The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New New Yorker taking on a gvr4

transparentdsm

Quoting Number996:
hey ade,

I don't know if anybody's said anything about that plug coming off the ecu harness but if it's anything like mine (and it looks exactly the same) a previous owner had tapped into the front o2 wire for one reason or another and the green wire/white male plug was just hanging there. I found mine when wiring an AFR gauge to my ecu and deleted it.

oh man, you cut the wire you should have plugged the gauge into. haha its a simple tap in and its supposed to be there so when your check engine light comes on for a bad o2 you can attach a multimeter there and see if its dead. i mean you have the gauge now so you'll def know if its dead, but thats what the wire/plug was there for. also no previous owner installed it, thats how it comes from the factory, mine has it to and so does every other VR4 and DSM.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting ade:

all this couldn't happen without jack
IMAG0454.jpg

did he help get the squirrel infestation out??? i just recently saved a cat that fell 30 feet from a tree

also what number is your car??

ade

Jack the cat, got hit by a car the day before the storm sandy arrived, everybody on my canal were like chickens without heads and no one fessed up about doing it. he was a gnarly cat and an awesome wing man, i cant tell you how many times he went on his sat morning walk and came back an hour or two later in the arms of some swexy(sweaty sexy) jogger. we miss him dearly.

1052/2000

ade

took it out two weeks ago for a spin after an extensive tuning session. shifter csbles need adjusting, air leak at vband before wideband made readings inaccurate. Since then ive sealed the vband and moved wb sensor to o2 housing. waiting on swaybar brackets from jnz.

oh and yes i am.. we were both giggling like school girls. check out the cam mans other vids, hes got a supercharged lotus elise.

click

enjoi

ade

lots ov work getting done. evo8 suspension is next.

transparentdsm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif car looks great, sounds great and seems to be doing pretty great huh? glad to see it on the road.

ade

thanks.

i decided to go closed loop with the catch can. i need to order a few bits from summit and do a bit of welding. here is a mock up of things to come.

bit by bit

Last edited:

ade

keep practicing

need to reinstall the valve cover baffle and put together a bracket for the can

ill get to these soon

Last edited:

tektic

Nice job with the valve cover. Bet it out flows my 1/4" npt taped cover. Want to weld some ports on mine too? I didn't realize Paumanok, NY was on long Island. As wide spread as this board is were practically neighbors.

I've been posting wanted ads on craig's list for evo struts around here. All I came up with was an evo 9 fuel pump. Nice find on those Blistines.

What are you tuning with? Ive been playing with my ostrich a bit lately. There's some real fancy SD stuff posted from all over the world over on dsmecu.com.

Lot of good work here Keep it up.

ade

Hello neighbor, Paumanok was what long island was called before we all arrived. if u dont mind the not having the cleanest welds yeah sure ill git er done.

i did luck out on the bilsteins, will evo8 kyb's be sufficient? i can put you in touch with a fellow board member who has a set up for sale pretty cheap.

i am tuning with ecmlink's v3, its simple to learn, no complaints so far. ostrich was an option, but ive heard its really involved and time consuming.

thanks for the kind words and the link, i registered, just waiting on an activation email then im in there like swim wear.

ade

i had to move the galant to the street from the garage, it had rained so bad the creek that runs on the property flooded and came about two inches up into the garage.

yesterday i go to start and pull it back into the garage, no spark. unbolt the cas, spin it, nothing!?! ecmlink wont even link up to the ecu. the cel and turbo gauge don't light up.. my ecu needs to go on a lil trip.

why did this happen? could it be because it wasn't bolted to the body? any 1 have any ideas?

Last edited:

tektic

It sounded like Some Upstatie town. Learn something new every day.

I've only fried ecu's to non stock o2 sensors, bad ISC stepper motors or leaking capacitors.

Is it the best thing for it? No, but I haven't had an ecu bolted down since 2004 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Open the cover and see if you notice any burning or discoloration. Sometimes its very localized and you can clean traces, swap components and be up and running.

ade

i did have an issue with my o2 sensor, replaced, rewired and thought it had been resolved, ill look through it all once more to make sure. i dont have a spare ecu around to test, ill check and make sure power is gettimg to the ecu. i dont think the problem is the ecu, its clean no leaks or burnt tracers.

tektic

I have a couple spares if you just want to see if it starts.

Also you said in my thread, if it was you, you would tack the screw to the baffle. You did all that work to the valve cover and didn't remove the baffling or you just left it out?

ade

i tried building the aluminum up and around each hole, it worked, but what a mess! i took it apart and ordered compworks alu baffle.

u have pm

Zee

hey man this is zee i was talking to you earlier i should have looked here on the forums after i got back from the army to take it to some reputable shop

NOTE TO EVERY ONE
top level performance = scammmers

ade

whats up Zee, just thinking of the amount of money you threw at them and what you got back in return makes me queezy.

ade

well a few weeks ago after a rainy week the car would not start. i enlisted the help of Toybreaker and Tektic in contacting the galant spirits and eventually figured out i had a scrambled ecu. im not sure if its burnt ground tracers or leaky crap but me thinks it was cause i wired the a/f logger into the ecu incorrectly, either way im paying for it. so off to ecmlink it went.

but as usual i got impatient...

so i picked up an eprom ecu, it had slightly leaky caps but was clean and most importantly, was a known working ecu.

a few minutes on our grand inter-webs and i found and ordered these.

splitmotorsport cap kit & eprom socket

then visited radioshack for their $14 desoldering iron

got rid of the leaky caps

this was the tricky part, but it got done
eprom out....

socket in

i gotta wash the board with soap n water, let er dry, then solder in the new stuff. i thought the ecu would catch ablaze on me while de-soldering , but it turned out to be a cake walk.

i cant wait to have a running galant again.

tektic

I don't think soap and water is a good idea. Dw-40 was made to clean electronics. Try that or rubbing alcohol if your trying to take the waxy coating off. I'm likeing the desoldering iron. I'm going to have to get me one of those.

ade

John you are welcome to the desoldering iron whenever u need it. i did wash the board with soap and water, let it dry and it came out fine. i soldered in the eprom socket and caps, plugged it in and success! wooooot!!!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned